• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating an Index based on Character Styles?

Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly, I need to get much better in InDesign. But, I am trying. 

I have a product catalog. It's 300 pages. 

There is a specific character style that has been created, and the 7,000 + part numbers are all within that character style. I am trying to generate an Index that I can paste into a Word document or Excel file that a client can use to check against their part database. That index needs to have:

Part Number - Page Number

The part numbers vary in complexity from a simple term like HB, all the way to TX-005-007-HB.

I understand that Indesign doesn't support a way to create a TOC using Character styles. So I thought that maybe an Index would work better, but I seem to have a handicap when it comes to these things. 

Any insight would be extremely helpful.

All those part numbers are currently in a Character style only used by those part numbers.  

TOPICS
How to , Scripting , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Hello!

You can probably do it that way. Give it a try.

1. Create a GREP find/change query using .+ plus the format of your character style
2. Save that Query
3. Use Peter Kahrel GREP Query Manager script to find your save GREP Query, BUT instead of doing a change, you enable  the [Collect Found Items] and [Add Page Numbers] options. This will produce a new InDesign document with your Products SKu and page numbers sorted.

https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/grep_query_manager.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Jean-Claude,

Thank you for the post! I have tried it without success - but I can assume it's something I have done and not your instructions. I am still learning the GREP process, so this is all somewhat new to me. 

I have attached an image of what I put into the query, but when i Execute the query in the GREP query manager, I get a new document with an empty text box. Any thoughts?

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

You can probably do it that way. Give it a try.

1. Create a GREP find/change query using .+ plus the format of your character style
2. Save that Query
3. Use Peter Kahrel GREP Query Manager script to find your save GREP Query, BUT instead of doing a change, you enable  the [Collect Found Items] and [Add Page Numbers] options. This will produce a new InDesign document with your Products SKu and page numbers sorted.

https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/grep_query_manager.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jean-Claude,

Thank you for the post! I have tried it without success - but I can assume it's something I have done and not your instructions. I am still learning the GREP process, so this is all somewhat new to me. 

I have attached an image of what I put into the query, but when i Execute the query in the GREP query manager, I get a new document with an empty text box. Any thoughts?

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing wrong in your settings and query. Strange. It works here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tuuluuwag Check your private message. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You managed to solve this! It was the Script in my User - not Application. Once I changed that, We were back on track! 

Thanks again Jean-Claude!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found this, and tried it. I have a book with 30 or so files. In most of the files there are part numbers, and I have applied the V-PartNumber char style to each. The grep query is .+V-PartNumber. When I run the script, wiht collect found items and add page numbers selected, it appears to work - it creates a new InDesign document, but it is empty. The script is in my Application scripts folder. I'm running the latest version of InDesign, 18.2.1 on Windows 10.

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2023 May 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try using .+ instead, as Jean-Claude suggested in hist post earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines