• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating an Index

Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies first. I am somewhat versed in InDesign, however, one thing I have never had to do is create an index.

I am running InDesign 2020 on a PC.

So, here is my issue. 

I have a 260 page document. This is a document that has been passed to us via another company. They had setup a Charecter style that was made specifically for "Product Numbers" throughout the catalogue. (there are approx. 3,000 product numbers in this catalogue)

The Index that was currently in the file was made a long time ago and another designer added a bunch of new products and they were not done correctly in the Charecter style. I have gone through and edited this so that all product numbers are back to the original Charecter Style. 

At this point, I wanted to generate an Index that shows the part number and the page(s) it resides on. I have had zero success with trying to achieve this. 

I want to delete the current Index and start over to correct any issues that came with the document.

Our client uses the Index - which we output as a TXT file and convert to XLS - to compare in a database they have. So it's important that the Index is correct. 

I realize there may be follow up questions to this post, but please feel free to ask if it will help in providing a proper method to creating this Index. 

Thank you

Shawn

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?