• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating columns in text boxes

Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did an update and now the shortcut to create multiple columns in a text box has disappeared from my applications bar along the top. I know I can go into text frame options and change from there but I am really missing this shortcut! Anyone know how I can get it back??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Do you have the InDesign interface open narrower than previously? The icons might be there but just unable to fit within the display.

In the upper right corner of the InDesign interface is a cog. Click on it to open up the Customise Control Panel. Check that the sections you want are visible. You can also turn off other sections that you don't want or are potentially pushing options you want off the screen.

customize-control-panel.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the InDesign interface open narrower than previously? The icons might be there but just unable to fit within the display.

In the upper right corner of the InDesign interface is a cog. Click on it to open up the Customise Control Panel. Check that the sections you want are visible. You can also turn off other sections that you don't want or are potentially pushing options you want off the screen.

customize-control-panel.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately I am still not having much luck

1. Same setup I have been using previously so my screen size hasn't adjusted, do you know how to adjust the view so I can make it smaller so more options show up?

2. I have all the settings ticked and always have done, I have tried removing some to see if I would get some others to show instead but still cant seem to get the ones I want to show

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Janaya

I was mainly checking that you were displaying InDesign as wide as possible to see if any icons were effectively "dropping" off the right side of the screen

Could you show a screen capture of your entire Control (options) bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

I played around a bit more and was ab;e to get it to re-appear when I got rid of a few more of the other functions. Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Excellent. Happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol, sorry! That seemed too easy.

So, click the gear button and uncheck a few of the commands that appear *above* the frame fitting options. For example, uncheck Corner shapes and Effects. Click ok. If the column options still aren’t there then uncheck a few more, again above the frame fitting options.

A lot of people have moved to high definition monitors and the buttons on InDesign have gotten bigger to accommodate them. For those people who are on the lower, smaller resolution displays, it’s now a juggling act to get the buttons that you want to show.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

I managed to get it back, thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Janaya:

They are actually in your screenshot! The "2" is the number of columns and the "1p0" is the gutter between them. You are missing the Align and Distribute buttons, however.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

The screen shot is actually what I am missing (I just took a screen grab of someone elses), these are the functions I used to have and am now trying to get back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines