Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating flowing text in interactive pdf

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I'm wondering how to create flowing text in an interactive pdf. I want to be able to hit return to go to the next box wether that be a check box, radio button or a text field as I am creating a document to fill in online that contains all 3 styles. Can anyone tell me how best to do this? 🙂 thanks in advance.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Tab is the standard keyboard input for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Hi AJLangtry,

You're describing a PDF form's "Tab Order," where the user can tab from field to field in the correct, logical order.

This is a requirement for accessible PDF forms so that people who use assistive technologies (such as screen reader software by those who are blind) can navigate from field to field, but Tab Order also helps all users.

Control this in Acrobat's Form Editor tool by sequencing the form fields in the correct order in the form tree (the right-hand panel). On the right

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you clarify?

>...how to create flowing text in an interactive pdf. I want to be able to hit return to go to the next box...

To me, flowing text is a self-expanding text box; moving from box to box is an accessibility issue.

Which one are you looking for?

Also, this reads like an Acrobat issue, not InDesign.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Thank you for replying. Maybe flowing text box isn't the right term. Bascially I want the user to be able to hit return to go to the next input field, is that something I have control over?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that does exist, you use tab

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a floating text as in a popup?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonathan,

No, not a pop up. Essentially its for the end user to fill in a form with say for example

First Name:
Surname:
Date of birth:

And imagine beside each of these fields there is a text box they can fill in on a pdf. Once they input their first name, I want them to be able to hit enter/return, or whatever you want to call it, and go to the next text field, in this case their Surname and so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tab is the standard keyboard input for this.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi AJLangtry,

You're describing a PDF form's "Tab Order," where the user can tab from field to field in the correct, logical order.

This is a requirement for accessible PDF forms so that people who use assistive technologies (such as screen reader software by those who are blind) can navigate from field to field, but Tab Order also helps all users.

Control this in Acrobat's Form Editor tool by sequencing the form fields in the correct order in the form tree (the right-hand panel). On the right side, drag and drop the form fields into the correct tab order.

Form Labels_01.png

Learn more about how to do this while making accessible PDF forms in Adobe's free online seminar series at https://adobe.lookbookhq.com/acrobataccessibility 

It's an excellent series hosted by Adobe's Rob Haverty who is part of Adobe's accessibililty team.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines