• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating my First Ebook

Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am trying to generate and ebook in InDesign, it is a product brochure so will need links, chapers,

My first few questions are;

1. Am I better saving each chapter as a speparte InDesign document and then linking them as chapters (any advice on how would be wonderful) or shoudl i jusy create one long running document? If so how do I chapter it up?

2. What is the easiest way to create a TOC?

I'm sure I will have more as the project evolv

TOPICS
EPUB , Feature request , How to , Import and export , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

1. Am I better saving each chapter as a speparte InDesign document and then linking them as chapters (any advice on how would be wonderful) or shoudl i jusy create one long running document? If so how do I chapter it up?

How long is your file? This question really comes down to the length of your document, and your comfort level using the InDesign book features. I prefer to work with multiple chapters in a book, but I've been doing this a long time and I understand how books work. There will be

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The term eBook is a generic term for various digital formats including PDF, FXL ePub, Reflowable ePub and InDesign's Publish Online and more. Each format has its advantages (features) and disadvantages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an InDesign brochure that I need to convert for Kindle use as a fixed layout EPUB, with TOC and page navigation. I have been using InDesign for print design for 19 years so know my way around it, I just need to know a best practices and advice as I try to complete, export and get it working. Any help and advice is much appreciated. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggesst you take an online video tutorial at Linkedin Learning, they do an excellnt course on FXL ePub, you can get 30-days free. 

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/subscription/paid?&src=go-pa&veh=sem_src.go-pa_c.ggl-lil-sem-b2c-b...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek,

I have just started it, thank you for your advice again :o)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long is your file? This question really comes down to the length of your document, and your comfort level using the InDesign book features. I prefer to work with multiple chapters in a book, but I've been doing this a long time and I understand how books work. There will be a learning curve if you decide to move to a book, or you can just create the entire thing in a single .indd file.

In the single-file scenario, you will indicate new chapters by setting up a paragraph style with a name like ChapterTitle with auto-numbering on to auto-number the heads (i.e., Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3) and a page break to force the heading to start at the top of a page. 

2. What is the easiest way to create a TOC?

In either scenario, use Layout > Table of Contents to generate a TOC (just be sure to enable the Include Book Documents checkbox if you decide to use a book). Select the various heading styles (like the ChapterTitle style described above) and InDesign will locate all of the heads for you and type them up in a list with their appropriate page numbers. As you update the document, just update the TOC to pick up the latest edits. 

~Barb

Resources:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/creating-table-contents.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/creating-book-files.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/export-content-epub-cc.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Firstly thank you for you advice, it is much appreciated.

The document I am trying to produce is a product catalogue, so just over 680 pages. I am mirroring a previously generated iBook from iBooks author and need it to work on Kindle also, hence the need to relay it all as I can't convert the iBook to and Epub easily.

The catalogue will have a lot of navigation throughout and have links to websites and downloadable product brochures. I had stared to lay it all out in one document but at page 50 I thought it a good idea to see how I get it live and interactive, hence the need for good advice, I have been using InDesign for print for years but the ebook is a whole different kettle of fish, any advice you can give is very gratefully recieved.

Also do you know of any good resources to get me up to speed on the books feature in InDesign?

Thank you again

Nichola

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a quick tip: I assume you selected the iPad Retina document option when you first created it? If so, all your bitmap images should be exported at 72ppi. Anything higher will needlessy bloat your final book file size. 72ppi in InDesign and an iPad Retina document means working at the native resolution of an iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I didn't relaise I needed to, is this something that I can do once the document is created? We already have an iBook from iBook Authour,  I am creating the mirror of it for Kindle/FXL EPub. Does this apply still?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your book is text heavy you'd be better off producing a Reflowable ePub rather than a FXL ePub.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek,

It has a lot of images, technical infromation and illustrations so I have been asked to makeit fixed layout.

Thank you for your advice thought it has been taken on board :o)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines