• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating Outlines Bug

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have InDesign version 15.1.1 and had to create outlines of text to send it for cutting out in printhouse. I did it as usual and checked that everything looked well. I see outlines in my file, export to pdf as usual and the printhouse says the text is not outlined. I added two images about this problem – one photo from the printhouse screen when they try to open my file, the other is a screenshot from my screen of the same text showing outlines. Seems to me that InDesign does not really create outlines although it looks like it does and nothing warns me that the problem is there. 

We then created a pdf from the same indd file in another computer that has InDesign 15.0.3 and everything works as it should. 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Hi marjee,

export the page to PDF and convert the text to outlines using Acrobat Pro's preflight function.

When in Acrobat Pro go to:

Print Production > Preflight > Acrobat Pro DC 2015 Profiles > Select single fix ups

Document > Convert fonts to outlines

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't recomend to anybody create outlines through InDesign, except some situations for creating effects with some object.

Read here - https://indesignsecrets.com/outlining-fonts-the-2016-edition.php - and use it this 

>> Open the Print Production panel and open Preflight. In the Search field at the top right, search for “outline”. 

>> This selects the “Converts fonts to outlines” fixup.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thank you. But it used to work fine until now. I don't use outlines for all of my work, only when it is really needed for something like cut out letters on the exhibition wall for example. Illustrator is not good enough for designing text blocks. I'm really surprised you can say something like that, because outlining small amounts of text in InDesign is really convinient. Why should I like this solution where I have to make extra movements in another programme?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi marjee,

export the page to PDF and convert the text to outlines using Acrobat Pro's preflight function.

When in Acrobat Pro go to:

Print Production > Preflight > Acrobat Pro DC 2015 Profiles > Select single fix ups

Document > Convert fonts to outlines

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

At my workplace we have to outline text before sending to printers. So what we do is create a "Transparency Layer". This layer will be at the very top and all it is, is a white transparent rectangle that covers the work. Then the settings are pre set: Edit -> Transparency Flattener Presets... -> New, then click on Convert all text to outline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Talking about bad workflows... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Honestly, not something I would admit to in public. That is a god awful workflow so filled with potential problems that I wouldn't even consider it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines