Creating text anchors for all section heading in a document

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I quickly create text anchors for all section headings in my document, with the name of the text anchor being the name of the section heading?

In other words, I want to create hyperlink destinations of the type Text Anchor for every section header in my document. The "Name" would be the text of the section header 

new hyperlink destination.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you confirm the version of the software and the operating system you are using?

Are you trying to create a Table of Content? Bookmarks in a PDF? There is a Table of Content tool that uses the Paragraph/Character Styles

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/creating-table-contents.html

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to create hyperlink destinations of the type Text Anchor for every section header in my document. The "Name" would be the text of the section header 

new hyperlink destination.png

Windows 10, Indesign 2019

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also want to do this. The TOC feature allows the creation of TOC entries that recognize the text that was formatted to a specific paragraph style. If only the TOC Style interface allowed users to choose what type of hyperlink they want associated with those entries. Everything I've tried so far always defaults to the page number, which means clicking the TOC hyperlink still requires the reader to find the appropriate item on the page. Using Text Anchors for the TOC instead would land the reader directly where they need to be. Adobe, PLEASE add a hyperlink style of TEXT ANCHOR to the TOC Style interface!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Shirley_Johnson This would be a great feature request. If possible, please log it here, which is checked by the Adobe team regularly to understand what new featues might be of use: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests.

@creubenc Sorry, but I don't know of anyway to automatically create text anchors from paragraph styles, which is, I think, basically what you want. Sounds like a scripting task to me. 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines