Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cross-reference on master page

Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am trying to make a cross-reference with destination on a master page.In my Cross-References box I can se the name of the cross reference, and a red MP (see the attached screen shot) and the text "Invalid destination: on a master page".

Thus the cross reference is unresolved. Does that mean that is is impossible to have a cross-reference destination on a master page, or am I missing something? Can it be resolved?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Does that mean that is is impossible to have a cross-reference destination on a master page, or am I missing something? Can it be resolved?

By @ryanp50725768

The idea behind a cross reference is to direct the user to another location within your document. As an example, "For more information, see Table 2 on page 21." When the user clicks the cross reference in a PDF or other online format, they will hyperlink to page 21 to see the table. You cannot send a user to a master page because they don

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want to create a link on a page where the reader can click on a word or words (or an image) and go to another page in the document, in an Interactive PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek

I want to create a book with several documents in it. The numbering must be page X out of Y (like page 3 out of 29)

I am using cross-references as Indesign cannot make this numbering across the documents in a book.

It works if I make a cross-reference on the last page in the last document in the book, but if I could make af master page with the name "Last Page" or something, then I could just apply it to the last page in the last doc in the book. But it is possible to have cross-reference desitnation on a master page? That's the question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So do you want  a word(s) or button shape on each page that when selected takes you to say the Contents page of the document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. The cross reference text must be invisible. The cross reference is only for making the pagenumbers appear like X out of Y pages across the book. The cross reference links to a paragraph style and the cross reference format is page number, and the definition is <pageNum />.

The result is a book of 30 pages that displays the pagenumbers like 1/30, 2/30, 3/30 and so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add a number after the folio add it to the master page e.g. A/30

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know, but it does not work on books with several documents in it. It only works on the separate documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that mean that is is impossible to have a cross-reference destination on a master page, or am I missing something? Can it be resolved?

By @ryanp50725768

The idea behind a cross reference is to direct the user to another location within your document. As an example, "For more information, see Table 2 on page 21." When the user clicks the cross reference in a PDF or other online format, they will hyperlink to page 21 to see the table. You cannot send a user to a master page because they don't exist in the published document.

Instead, add a frame to the last page of the book, add some text like "last page", put it on a layer that is designated non-printing, and then cross reference that text to pull in the Page Number. You will just need to check it after final edits to be sure that it is still on the last page.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb

Yes, thats is exactly what my present page numbering solution is. But now I know that is is not possible to make x-ref on master pages.

Thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, it's good to know you are doing it right! 😀

I was thinking about it after I posted my response. Another option that would keep you from having to keep track of the frame on the last page—because who wants any extra steps?—is to x-ref the final paragraph at the end of last the document file in the book. Then, if that paragraph moves during edits, InDesign will keep an eye on it for you.

~Barb  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines