• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cross-references lost when copying files

Engaged ,
Mar 17, 2019 Mar 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I copy a book to a new location (in my case, for archiving), I find that the internal cross-references to other chapters try to look to the old location rather than to the new one. The same thing happens with the book itself. Is there any way to automate the adjustment to the new location so this doesn't happen?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't copy the book by itself.

Use the function Package for Print from the Book Panel menu, package. Eventually you can now copy the package to the new home folder. Any other method can cause your problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, while this does re-link the chapters in the book to the new location, it does not fix the cross references, which still go to the previous location. I have dozens of them and am at a loss what to do. I tried "update cross-references," but that didn't change anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NIRC  wrote

I tried "update cross-references," but that didn't change anything.

That utility updates the links within the file and is used when the content is edited and the text reflows. The "updates" are to pick up the new location of the internal reference points.

I just  made a series of INDD files with text anchors/destinations and hyperlinks. Packaged the files and put that on a different hard drive. Opened up the packaged INDD and everything was correct.

So in order for us to help diagnose what's happening to you, can you give us the steps you used to first create the destination anchors and hyperlinks, and then to package up the files?

—B

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Opened book

2. Checked the cross-references and they are all OK.

2. On flyout menu chose "Package Book for Print

3. On "Links and Images" it says "No links found", but the Table of Contents has cross-references to each of the files (chapters) in the book.

4. Chose "Package..." with "include fonts and links from hidden and non-printing content", and chose another location on the same drive to save it.

5. Opened book in new location and when I click on "destination" for the individual chapters of the book, it opened the file from the original location.

I am not sure what I have done wrong. I am working with the PC version of InDesign, latest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS. I don't think it matter, but I changed the default name of the "package" from the default ​Book Title Folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi NIRC ,

I see the same issue with cross-references with text anchors that point to a different document in a book.

Packaging the book will not help. The cross-references still point to the original document of the original book.

And yes, I updated cross-references in the packaged book file.

To solve this one has to relink every single cross-reference to the right InDesign document.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a very good solution. Is there some way I can move this discussion over to the people who handle the "bugs" in the program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many issues with the Book panel and packaging that can be problematic. I'm curious if you've tried this:

Copy the InDesign files (not the book) to a new folder as your archive. Create a new book and add the files to that book and check the cross-references. I know it's not ideal, but it could be a workaround. This method should isolate the InDesign documents so that the references still work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already tried that. No go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NIRC  wrote

This is not a very good solution. Is there some way I can move this discussion over to the people who handle the "bugs" in the program?

You could do a feature modification request or a bug report:

Adobe InDesign Feedback

When done best come here again and post the link of the report so that we could vote for fixing the issue.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah. There already is a bug report on this:

Repackaged book-document cross-references do not update file path – Adobe InDesign Feedback

I already voted for fixing the issue. NIRC, raise your voice in this report as well.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if you tried this, but did you rename the folder at the old location so that internal cross-references can no longer find the old location? I believe when InDesign cannot find the old location, it tries to update the cross-references using relative paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OMG it works for me, IND update using relative paths!!!! Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines