Hope this helps someone.

Walt
TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2009 Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

checked on few machines - no problems

maybe your file is damaged ? try to INXing it

â–’â–º ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard â—„â–’

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, CS3 may crash on virtually any scripted search/replace. I had it crash on double quotes, tabs, and even spaces. Usually, moving the specific s&r from regular to GREP or the other way around clears it for that offending file only.

The symptom seems connected to a specific file (as it may always fail on one and never on another), but saving as INX and re-loading never cleared it up for me. As it is quite a hassle to find the exact code it crashes on this time (with intermittant crashes on each new try), I usually shrug and do my replaces from memory. After all, it's just a few hundred of'em.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting the cashes helps, at least for a while. Patching up to the latest versions (5.0.4 and 6.0.1) seemed to have helped, too. The cashes are at documents and settings/user/local settings/application data/adobe/indesign/version 6.0/cashes (or version 5.0).

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2016 Jan 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Aaaah so that's why my script keeps crashing… Thanks Jongware.

So, long find/change queries can make InDesign crash when scripted? It's a shame that this is still the case in 2016 (using InDesign CC 2015.2).

Guess I'll use Automaticon's Multi-find change instead then 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you setting your FindChangeTextOptions and/or FindChangeGrepOptions? If you are attempting to set these directly to null then that will cause crashing.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that I've run into findText crashes a lot. So much so that I stopped using them entirely and have used findGrep instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I know that I've run into findText crashes a lot. So much so that I stopped using them entirely and have used findGrep instead.

find/changeGrep is also (a bit) quicker than find/change/Text.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fred,

I have a fuuny feeling that your crashes are related to your long search times... I think you've got to work out a better way of processign your text files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines