• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5 Running very sticky

May 03, 2010 May 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've installed InDesign CS5 and it's running terribly when I have graphics placed, especially at high resolution display.  It's choppy, sticky - to much to even work with.  I've thrown out the SavedData and InDesign Defaults, but it doesn't help.  Has anyone else experienced this problem, or have any ideas what I can do.  CS4 runs fine.

Thanks,

Adam

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 205 Replies 205
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2010 May 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I've had a minute to work through your suggestions, and done all you suggested, even down to deselecting the live spell checking, nothing has corrected the issues. I've created new pages, same results. I have to admit, the more I use it the more the Illustrator files and text boxes do seem to be stickier than psd, eps or tif's. 

BTW - I am using the Apple Multi-Touch Magic Mouse. Now to be fair to Adobe, I've had strange anomalies with the Magic Mouse before, including erratic scrolling. It's a neat device, but not yet perfected in my opinion. I don't think they are related however, since CS4 still works smoothly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cspann wrote:

Yea, I cant argue with that if there are only a dozen reports.

I think this is the only thread so far...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2010 Oct 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem as well.

iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

8GB Ram

Mac OS 10.6.4

ATI Radeon HD 4850

CS4 works great as do my other CS5 apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2010 Oct 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me also ...   running on a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac

(8GB Ram.  Mac OS 10.6.4.  ATI Radeon HD 4850.)

CS4 works great ...  no sluggishness.

CS5 has to stop and redraw anytime I move something.  About a 1 second delay.

Setting Live Screen Drawing to Immediate is actually the least painful option.  At least then I can see my object as I'm moving it.  Using Never and Delayed causes everything to disappear until I let go of the object ...  then it all pops back after about a second.

Tried all 3 settings – Never, Delayed and Immediate – and nothing fixes the problem.  Will probably use CS4 unless they're able to correct this with an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2010 Jul 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, I have that problem as well. Real annoying, havinbg to progress bar. What up w/ that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2010 Jul 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doh! I've jut spent the last hour fiddling with the settings, wondering why Indesign was instantly creating 0KB pdfs...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2010 May 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are any of you using custom keyboard shortcut sets or anything similar that you imported from a previous version? In another thread that's just been linked to keys not working correctly.

What about font managers? (did I ask that already?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not using any custom or otherwise keyboard shortcuts just a wacom tablet and mouse. Use Suitcase Fusion 2 for font management.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No on custom keyboard stuff.  I'm using FontAgent Pro.  However, when I created a test user, FontAgent was not running.

The problem for me seems to stem primarily from .ai files that are placed.  When high quality preview is on, everything is horrible.  If I'm just using photo images, although it slows, it's not nearly as bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@wwd

Do things improve if you turn off Suitcase?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No change with suitcase off

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No custom keyboard shortcuts here. Nothing imported from older files. I use FontDoctor to check for problem fonts, otherwise Apple's Font Book. I notice super stickyness regardless of the presences of ai files or not.

I have found something that slightly seems to help on my end. (Emphasize slightly helps) Going to, View > Grids & Guides, then deselecting everything. This helps with a bit of the jumping in high res. I figure it is like eliminating speed bumps in the road. It makes the ride a little smoother. Maybe it will help you guys a bit.

It's still awful, but just a bit less awful, and I will take any improvement I can get.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about turning off preflight?

Any cross-references or hyperlinks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off preflight did not change anything.  I tried turning of the snap to grid and smart guides, which doesn't help, but does make the experience seem smoother because of the "not snapping".  If I put in a super simple vector file, it's not as bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue with moving graphics around in ID CS5, new or older documents... and that's with 16GB RAM and a 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT video card. I've never experienced it in CS4.

Hoping it will get fixed in an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wayne, is it the same for vector files as it is for bitmaps? My issue is significantly worse with .ai files vs. psd's.

Adam

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam, Huh, hadn't noticed but just checked it out. It's the same with vector and bitmaps. Like you I use place native .ai and .psd files.

I move something with the mouse and curser and it steps across the page.

Regards, Wayne

Not sent from an iPad <heavy sigh>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why can't there just be a smooth transition. "Literally" on two counts.

Adam

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, sux when you're trying to move something just a little and it's bouncing around like a house fly with a dose of Raid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you guys using for mice? The newest  Apple mouse does not seem to get along well with ID as far as scrolling, and I think I may have seen some posts about trying to drag page items, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, I'm using a Logitech Revolution MX mouse. That's an interesting thought. I'll try some other mice today.

BTW I'm running 2560x1600 on the main 30" monitor with 24"s on each side of it. One for ID palettes, one for email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you definitely have too many monitors going. that's your problem.

send one to me and your indesign will FLY.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I love about these forums Ben, everyone is just so helpful and accommodating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many pixels is that, all added together?

Are you running ID by default in high resolution? That may bog down the entire system a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how many pixels my "cinerama" amounts to. The Mac Pro runs a couple of heavy duty graphics cards and I know that in any of the CS4 products I never had this issue.

I'm not a ranter, I can live with this. I'll wind the display down to "Typical" and see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines