• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5 Running very sticky

May 03, 2010 May 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've installed InDesign CS5 and it's running terribly when I have graphics placed, especially at high resolution display.  It's choppy, sticky - to much to even work with.  I've thrown out the SavedData and InDesign Defaults, but it doesn't help.  Has anyone else experienced this problem, or have any ideas what I can do.  CS4 runs fine.

Thanks,

Adam

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 205 Replies 205
Participant ,
Aug 16, 2010 Aug 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was very disappointed at the sluggishness and jumpy, sticky problems with CS5, especially InDesign and Photoshop. I have a 8-core Nehalem MacPro with a ATI 4870 graphics card (24 and 30 inch displays) and 12GB RAM. When you have one of the faster machines Apple makes, and Adobe's software still exhibits such a jumpy, inconsistent experience, that's just not good.

I have Hand Tool at "Greek Images", Live Screen Drawing at "Delayed", and Display Performance at "Proxy" and "Low Quality." I'm torn because I appreciate the new features, but the overall experience is very difficult to live with.

Another big change I do not like is when you select a image box in InDesign, and the whole screen jumps to move the box closer to the center of the screen. Whenever it happens, it slows me down considerably. (I have the document positioned where I want it, and I don't want InD to second guess me!) Does anyone know how to turn this "feature" off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2010 Aug 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Co-sign to what this guy is saying. Especially the last thing, re: grabbing

an image? Anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the incovenience, but what do you mean by "grabbing the photo frame" and "screen jumping" actually?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

he means that the "focus" of the screen (the location of the layout on your actual screen) changes to try and include the selected frame in certain circumstances (for me it only seems to happen with keyboard input). For example you have a frame that's 6 inches tall, but only 3 inches of it are visible on the screen when you are zoomed to "Fit Spread." Without you changing your view (by using the scroll bars, zoom tool, or page up-down, etc), it will "jump" so that the entire 6 inch frame is visible on your screen. It does this in a smart way with a text frame, but now it does it with other kinds of frames, and that can be really, really frustrating if you've set a specific view exactly how you want it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Precisely.

In InDesign CS5, I have a tabloid sized  page with approximately a dozen ads on it, each contained in a picture  box of a different size. Each picture box has a PSD in it, plus one or  more overlayed text boxes. The page is relatively complex. When i click  on a picutre box or text box (expecially) to make a modification, the  whole page location jumps (scrolls) to probably attempt to move the  now-selected item towards the center of the window.

There are two problems with this:

1. when the page scrolls, it doesn't usually move towards the center.  often it moves the selected area actually OUTSIDE of the visible area,  requiring me to scroll the selected are back into view!
  2. i'm using a 30" display, and i can already see the entire page, or  entire area that i'm interested in working on, so even if the algorithm  actually positioned the box correctly, it's a "feature" I want to turn  off. I don't want the screen to scroll at all when I select something,  even if it's partially out of view. If I want to move it fully into  view, I manually scroll, myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do know that when placing your cursor inside a text box, and then moving the cursor off-screen with the keyboard, that this has always happened in InDesign (and I believe in Quark, too, if memory serves). That function is actually useful. But in CS5, something has changed outside of that limited effect, and I can't define exactly what it is that has been done, but it is noticeable because I find myself often having to re-orient back to the view I wanted unexpectedly.

I think, but I am not completely sure, that this may have something to do with the new way that the selection of a object inside a frame happens, and possibly with the frame edge highlighting feature. Which would be "hilarious" considering how much grief I've spewed about that "feature" already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all for explanation. Now I got it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found some answers on lynda.com. Stress the word SOME. If you've got a

membership, check it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

remixtdesign wrote:

I found some answers on lynda.com. Stress the word SOME. If you've got a

membership, check it out.

Keeping secrets is impolite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 07, 2010 Oct 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Art,

I'm sure that you have checked that but I will tell anyway. Besides that, that you have set the Live Screen Drawing to delayed, you can get the very jumpy behaviour by moving objects when you have Separations Preview ON. Even if you screen Display Performance is set to Fast Display.

It is really hard to believe that you expereince such a big problems on such a powerfull machine. I tested InDesign CS5 on Mac mini 2.53 and my experiences were pretty much positive.

Pawel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll bite...which movies should i watch to see these incredible revelations? there are several hours worth of not-so-useful info on there for ID CS5 if you are a well-versed user, so where is this good new stuff?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign CS5 New Features: "Working with the Selection tool" has some good

little points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 09, 2010 Oct 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add me to the sticky list. Trying to do a simple 2 page full colour brochure that I design every year at this time. A couple of 300dpi, CMYK PSD files with transparency and some text.

Last year I did it on an old 1.8Ghz G5 (single) with 3GB RAM, Mac OS 10.5.x using CS3.

This year it's a Dual 2.53Ghz Mac Mini with 4GB RAM under OS 10.6.4 using CS5.

I've noticed significantly more lag this year on what is obviously a faster Mac. I've barely got any content into the brochure yet! Add on top of that the frame edge highlight "feature" and I'm swearing at the computer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 10, 2010 Oct 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What concerns "frame edge highlight feature" - I believe you mean smart guides (cmd-U). Switch them off and let us know if the stickness is gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No...that is not what he means. He mean frame edge highlighting, which cannot be turned off.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry for misundertanding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2010 Oct 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, this isn´t just a Mac problem... I have the same issues on a

Windows 7 64-bit machine (Core i7-920, 6GB RAM). The majority of

users in this forum uses a Mac, so it is only normal that the problem

gets more reports on Macs. But non-Mac is also problematic!

On Dom 10/10/10 11:07 , Phorna forums@adobe.com sent:

I'm sorry for misundertanding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 11, 2010 Oct 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is true. However if you switch off the add-ons you can work on PC pretty smooth. Some Mac users even with all features off can't get the things right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2010 Oct 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's definitely not a Mac-only problem. I have the exact same problems on a Windows 7 (64-bit) system with a Core i5 and 6 GB of RAM. Everything in CS5, as well as every other program I run, works great except for InDesign.

I'm literally stunned at the amazingly bad performance in ID CS5. To make matters worse it seems to be getting slower and slower as time goes by.

The only upside is that I charge by the hour. ID CS5 doesn't make me more productive, but it might make me more profitable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like everyone is having problems with the Core i family. Anyone with these issues on a Core2Duo?

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Mac Mini is Core2Duo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 13, 2010 Oct 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it be possible for you to uninstall Bridge for a while and to check if ID CS5 changed the behaviour? Or it is to much to ask?

Actually Mini Bridge is the last feature introduced in CS5 that we have not turned off. I know this is a long shot, but who knows. Besides that, Bridge works on the edge ID / SL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to uninstall Bridge? I thought it was not optional and just sort of came along for the ride whether you used it or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right.

In my case Bridge was simply inactive.Was inactive because I did CS5 installaton over working CS3 installation and some how Bridge CS5 never fired up with InDesign.

When you go to Bridge preferences you may consider to:

Cache -> Purge the Cache

Startup Scripts -> Disable All

Advanced -> Uncheck all boxes

But i have low expectations.

We have the same computers. Mine works great yours have delays.

System is 10.6.4

Start drive: Macintosh HD

I use original Apple alu-keyboard and logitech mouse (2 buttons + wheel - nothing speciall)

Both are connected to back of Mac (I mean mouse is not connected to keyboard).

Display is NEC 2690WUXI2.

I don't use spaces, Expose is inactive.

My Mac works in 32 bit Kernel mode.

I have no software but CS installed.

AirPort is off. I have ethernet cable connected.

I have network set manually, no DNS server.

Time machine - never used.

There is one user account.

Adobe PDF is the only printer in system.

Growl is runing (I don't even know what it is).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It impossible to have the AdobePDF print driver in Mac OS 10.6.x because it's incompatible. It won't even install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines