• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5 Running very sticky

May 03, 2010 May 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've installed InDesign CS5 and it's running terribly when I have graphics placed, especially at high resolution display.  It's choppy, sticky - to much to even work with.  I've thrown out the SavedData and InDesign Defaults, but it doesn't help.  Has anyone else experienced this problem, or have any ideas what I can do.  CS4 runs fine.

Thanks,

Adam

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 205 Replies 205
Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2010 Oct 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you upgraded from 10.5, you certainly can have the Adobe PDF print driver in 10.6.

It doesn't work at all, but it still sits there in your Printers and Fax System Pref pane and won't go away.

I have Adobe 8.0 and Adobe 9.0 "printers" on my 10.6.4 machine right now.

But they don't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you upgraded from 10.5 that could explain a whole lot. Contrary to the advice out of the propaganda machine in Cupertino, it's a crapshoot.

I tried it and lost. Wound up erasing the harddrive and did a clean install. Everything works beautifully.

Same advice for Windows users. Upgraded operating systems on mission critical machines are a real bad idea.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well. I did not upgraded. I do believe that I bought my MAC with 10.6 already. Maybe CS3 is able to install Adobe Printer PDF 8.0 on 10.6 even if it is inactive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My mac came with 10.6.2 installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay...scratch that.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you maybe tried this one:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1083

Some users reported that this solved their problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this update. It has no effect on InDesign. It is a graphics driver update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OR you could try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyM2yvGJWw0&feature=related

Has anyone tried that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 14, 2010 Oct 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jerremy, I think that maybe difference lays in our expectations about performance.

Well.... is InDesign CS5 visible slower than CS3?

Yes.

Is it much slower?

Hard to say. It is personal experience / Mac speed related.

Do I wait a second between pressing an arrow key an object movement?

If there is any delay it is on the edge of perception.

Do I wait one second between pressing an arrow key and a LARGE group of objects movement?

Yes. By moving 500 texts frames selected.

So how much exactly CS5 is slower than CS3?

2 - 16 times.

Whaaat?

Depends on operation. For example If you make 500 small frames and then you select them all, and you switch their content properties from unassigned to text, CS3 will do it in 8 seconds (Core2duo 2.53). CS5 needs 128 seconds for that operation.

When you drop shadow on all 500 frames it takes 2 seconds on CS3 and 3-4 seconds on CS5.

So if we really want to talk about numbers and not the feelings divided by expectations we need a script based speed test (like there are several for Photoshop). We need standard test file with multiple elements and set of operations that have to be performed.

Then we will have statistics to talk about.

Anyway it seems that by InDesign CS5 Adobe went Windows Vista way. The software should be as fast as it is possible in context of it's purpose. Core functions should be fast and effective. We really don't need Christmas tree with all those highlighted frame edges, content grabbers etc. if we have to pay for them with our productivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Poor analogy. Vista was just fine on the right hardware.

These problems are being seen on higher end machines that should have no problem at all running InDesign.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not before the service patches, it wasn't!

I bought a brand-new high-end computer about a month after Vista started shipping. It was supposedly the "perfect" Vista machine.

I put XP on it about a week later, and never touched the OS again until Win7 came out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran Vista Ultimate 64 with no problems at all from the get go.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the other hand I always wonder. How it is possible to make an algorithm, that was OK before, 16 times slower.

Poor Mr. Moore is not able to follow such a programmers skills.

Like they say, if InDesign CS5 would be a perfect piece of software who would buy CS6?

So next big revelation from Adobe will be that CS6 is XXX times faster then CS5.

Well, after a while, I know how it possible. They have written part of the code in Java!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not doing anything that I would consider intensive. There are lags all over the place that run the full gamut from simple to complex and they are not always consistent, although I do get consistent lag when playing with layer visibility in PSD files and adding layer effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an idea of final InDesign CS5 test.

Is it possible for someone who has trouble to install InDesign CS5 but trial of stand alone version? Possibly on clean system? I know this is a serious effort but it would eliminate all interferences from CS5 suite if any.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - though shutting off the offending features fixed my CS5 problems...Well, most of them. It's still a little glitchy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@roliver

Have you done any of those OS interface customizations that are possible in Win7? Lots of reported problems with Aero and custom font sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not using any custom font sizes, and Aero (which is a system default, not a customization) is running.

It's gotten so bad that almost every single possible action one can take in InDesign results in the Windows 7 wait cursor and a few seconds of delay. I've tried all of the suggestes in this, and other similar threads, with no appreciable change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning off Aero.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When that doesn't work, try installing Windows XP. Maybe Windows ME.

It will probably work great on Windows ME.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 15, 2010 Oct 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me add one more voice. Brand new iMac 27 i7 with 8 gigs of RAM. Latest Snow Leopard.  Soooo slow I can count 4 seconds between moving a text box and having it display in it's new location.  Yes, I had already stripped my prefs down to the lowest impact settings, as suggested here.  No, I have not complained to Apple as I wouldn't even know where to begin.   But Adobe does, and I would think that they know how to reach the PC Manufacturers as well, since from reading through these posts, it seems to be cross platform.  We lived with Adobe/Apple problems for a very long time with CS3 InDesign. I hope that won't be the case here and that SOMEBODY somewhere monitors this thread - since it is an Adobe forum, I would hope that it's them, but if Apple is here too, great.  Honestly, we need these tools for our livelihood.  I never bought CS4, so I have no backwards path to CS3, which I am back to using for creating new projects.  Anyway, does ANYONE know what ADOBE has to say???  Bob (another Bob)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how to tell you this, but you have more influence at Apple than Adobe does.

Again, I don't want to go back through this entire thread, but has anyone with 8 gigs of RAM tried pulling 4 out and trying it with only 4? I know I'm grasping at straws here, but there's really no common thread that I can see here.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But there is a common thread...InDesign CS5. There are plenty of reports of people with powerful machines who had no issues with previous versions of ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if the problem is cross platform, and the issue is with ADOBE InDesign CS5, and not with anyone else's software, and we paid Adobe for this software which, by the nature of it's existence is implied that it WILL work on the computer that we install it on, and if the problem is reasonably widespread which, judging by the posts here, it is, then it's up to ADOBE to either make it work, negotiate with every computer manufacturer to get the information they need to make it work, or start offering up refunds. It's software that does not run properly on modern computers.  Please, Adobe, get it together.   Bob, I respect your position here, but have you ANY clout or relationship with Adobe? Can you help at all? CS3 suddenly started working one day after a series of Adobe and Mac updates. Somebody fixed it.   Again, since the problem seems to be cross platform with modern machines, can't we pool our resources and buy Adobe a new computer or two so they can learn how to program for them?  Sheesh!  Another Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe already offers a 30 money back policy.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines