• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ctrl+B Causing complete program failure

New Here ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While working on a project for school, I have noticed (while trying to hit Ctrl+V) Ctrl+B has caused my program not to respond and eventually results in an error message that shows up notifying me of an "Invalid numerical value". I have tried to look up if there was a command linked to this key combo and have found nothing relevant over several pages. I would like to know if there is indeed a key combo that links to this and if there is a way to make my program work again without having to possibly sacrifice the work  I have done since last save to make the program function again. Thanks in advance to all who contribute.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

If you can afford it, see if you can get the RAM increased on your laptop,

In the meantime reset your InDesign preferences to the factory settings, which clears out application corruptions that can build up over time:

1) Close InDesign
2) Double click on Adobe InDesign's icon to launch it
3) QUICKLY hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift. (for Windows) or CTL+OPT+CMD+Shift (for Mac OS X)
4) When a dialog appears, ask you “Delete InDesign Preference Files?” Click Yes.

(If you don't see the question do it agai

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The equivalent on a Mac is cmd V = Paste and cmd B = is Text Frame Options.

Sounds like you had a system crash. This happens sometimes and is why you should Save your work regularly and do the occasional Save As and incrementally name your file – NAME1a.INDD, NAME1b.INDD and so on. This removes the crud that builds up and gives you an earlier version of the document to retrieve if your current one becomes corrupt or is lost. I also recommend you keep back-up copies of important files externally as well (in case your computer gets stolen or something).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankfully I save frequently but, I was wondering what would cause such a disturbance within the program that it would still *technically* respond, according to the system, but also not let me perform any edits or click on anything, including close, minimize, etc. It seems to happen consistently with that command as it has happened at least 3 times and has required me to reboot the program. thankfully, nothing has been lost, fortunately, but it does cause a hindrance in my workflow on the off chance that I hit B instead of V while trying to paste.

Also, I greatly appreciate your diligence and help with this problem 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS?

How much RAM do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CC, latest version, 2020, Windows, 8Gb Ram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume that's Windows 10?

You'd be better off with 16GB of RAM.

If you have this recurring crashing problem, it might help if you reset your InDesign preferences.

By the way, I assume this is your computer and not your school's, where someone might have been messing about with the keyboard shortcuts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, Windows 10 and personal laptop computer. I haven't had an issue with any of the programs crashing, at least not consistently. I've had this particular computer for a little over a year for school work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you can afford it, see if you can get the RAM increased on your laptop,

In the meantime reset your InDesign preferences to the factory settings, which clears out application corruptions that can build up over time:

1) Close InDesign
2) Double click on Adobe InDesign's icon to launch it
3) QUICKLY hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift. (for Windows) or CTL+OPT+CMD+Shift (for Mac OS X)
4) When a dialog appears, ask you “Delete InDesign Preference Files?” Click Yes.

(If you don't see the question do it again.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines