Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ctrl S doesn't save my document anymore, it 'saves as'

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I don't know if this is due to an update or what, but for the past week or so when I press Ctrl S after opening and editing a document, it opens a dialog box to save my document as. Usually not in the same location as where the original document was as well, so I have to navigate back to where I opened it in the first place. Any idea why it does that and how to correct it?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

This is absolutely not a bug.

In fact, this is exactly the same behaviour exhibited by every new version of InDesign when you open an InDesign document that was not yet opened and saved by the new version.

Why does this happen? InDesign does this out of an abundance of caution.

The InDesign document format changes from one major InDesign version to the next (such as from InDesign 15 to InDesign 16). Once you “save” an InDesign document in the newer version, it won't directly open in the ol

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix will be issued soon:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/41695588-indesign-16-0-...

Ravi Kiran (Senior Lead Quality Engineer, Adobe InDesign) responded · Nov 17, 2020:
"The fix for this issue is now available in the latest Beta build (build 109) of InDesign 16.0 available via CCD.
We’re planning to make the fix available via a Public release very shortly. Please stay tuned for the announcement."

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As per the latest update posted on the bug filed for this issue, it is fixed and is available in the latest update of InDesign i.e. 16.0.1. Update your InDesign and give it a spin(i think the updates are rolled out incrementally, so not all people would see the update right away).

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this works.   Was driving me crazy too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2023 Dec 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It most definitely is a bug.  I experience this on a daily basis - EVEN WHEN THERE HAVE NOT BEEN ANY InDESIGN UPDATES, as asserted by others in this discussion.  I can open a file that I previously created this morning and closed, come back work on it a bit, then click "Save" and it acts as "Save As..." even though there are no Adobe application updates, major or incremental.  If it were a case of a change in file formats, then wouldn't Illustrator and Photoshop also exhibit this behavior?  They do not.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a problem for certain users, which isn’t related to the normal Converted behaviour. See this long running thread—Adobe clearly is having problems identifying the cause:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/indesign-2023-makes-a-read-only-file/td-p/133007...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that link describes an entirely different problem.  I have zero issues saving the file as the exact same filename, so it clearly isn't being marked read-only.  But what's the point of having a "Save" option on the menu when it just automatically goes to "Save As" dialog anyway?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that link describes an entirely different problem.

Then file a different bug report—it will help if you can show the steps to reproduce the problem, I’m not seeing it on OSX.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If it were a case of a change in file formats, then wouldn't Illustrator and Photoshop also exhibit this behavior?  They do not.  

By @defaultken17h4qnre2

Just in case: no, Illustrator and Photoshop don't exhibit the same behavior as InDesign after a major upgrade. Files opened in a new major version of Illustrator/Photoshop don't have to be resaved. Doesn't mean it has anything to do with your issue but just to get the facts straight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines