Highlighted

Custom baseline on a table

Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there, i'm facing a few issues with tables.
I have a really long table linked to excel, that needs to be continued 3 times on the same page as well as on multiple pages, as you can see on the screenshot i attach. To do so, i created a first big text frame made of three columns and activated auto-resize and custom baseline.

The first thing is that I cannot seem to be able to set a custom baseline grid just for that specific table. Changing it on a text-frame level doesn't seem to affect the table at all, and I need the columns to be balanced on bottom (in the screenshot you can see how wacky they are), without using the baseline i did set at a document level. What do you think is the best way to balance the table columns?

The second thing is that i can't manage the text frame to autoresize according to the table itself. Also, when i try to continue the tex frame with the plus sign, the table doesn't continue on the three columns, but just a single column text frame is created.

thank you in advance

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by John Mensinger | Adobe Community Professional

As you see, baseline and column-balance controls don't work on tables/table contents.

With a table, you'll have to control column balance with cell height. If all the cells were the same height, an equal number of rows would take up each column, and you'd have balance. But the odd rows where the length of a cell entry forces a line-break are throwing it off.

I would achieve balance manually by selecting the entire table and setting an exact row height for all rows. Then select just the rows where there is a line break and set the cell height to exactly 2X the initial row height previously set. This won't automatically balance the columns and keep them that way, but you'll at least be able to adjust the column length (number of rows) so that they do balance optically.

TOPICS
Bug, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Custom baseline on a table

Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there, i'm facing a few issues with tables.
I have a really long table linked to excel, that needs to be continued 3 times on the same page as well as on multiple pages, as you can see on the screenshot i attach. To do so, i created a first big text frame made of three columns and activated auto-resize and custom baseline.

The first thing is that I cannot seem to be able to set a custom baseline grid just for that specific table. Changing it on a text-frame level doesn't seem to affect the table at all, and I need the columns to be balanced on bottom (in the screenshot you can see how wacky they are), without using the baseline i did set at a document level. What do you think is the best way to balance the table columns?

The second thing is that i can't manage the text frame to autoresize according to the table itself. Also, when i try to continue the tex frame with the plus sign, the table doesn't continue on the three columns, but just a single column text frame is created.

thank you in advance

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by John Mensinger | Adobe Community Professional

As you see, baseline and column-balance controls don't work on tables/table contents.

With a table, you'll have to control column balance with cell height. If all the cells were the same height, an equal number of rows would take up each column, and you'd have balance. But the odd rows where the length of a cell entry forces a line-break are throwing it off.

I would achieve balance manually by selecting the entire table and setting an exact row height for all rows. Then select just the rows where there is a line break and set the cell height to exactly 2X the initial row height previously set. This won't automatically balance the columns and keep them that way, but you'll at least be able to adjust the column length (number of rows) so that they do balance optically.

TOPICS
Bug, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 03, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Baseline grids affect text, and should be built into a paragraph style that is used in your table. The table should be controlled with cell styles and table styles. Textframes can auto-resize in response to text; but not tables. Cmd/Ctrl+B Textframe Options can turn on a balance columns feature.

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, "balance columns" doesn't work at all

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2020 0
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's kinda what I did, but instead of manually adjusting each cell (i have 4500+ rows, that would be really hard), i tried to use baseline to auto-resize each cell. I set 7pt for line height and 7pt for custom baseline, so each time I have a line break it counts exactly as a 2x cell (screen01).

The only thing here is that i don't have a possibility to add some top and bottom margin to the cells, because if I add it they all get messed up again.

So i came up with the "solution" of selecting a higher line height and baseline, in order to have taller cells. Everything looks ok now, but the fact that I can't manage to vertically center the text on the cell (screen02). It only lies on the baseline bottom. I'm almost there as a result... but I can't fix this last thing.

Thank you in advance

table2.PNGscreen02.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2020 0
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"but instead of manually adjusting each cell (i have 4500+ rows, that would be really hard), i tried to use baseline to auto-resize each cell. I set 7pt for line height and 7pt for custom baseline, so each time I have a line break it counts exactly as a 2x cell"

Well, I wan't suggesting you set the row height by manually dragging each row boundary.

By using the baseline and leading settings to control row height, you've lost control over the text placement within the cells.

You can set the row height in the Cell Options dialog:

John_Mensinger_0-1591275319369.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I see your point. If i'm correct though, this way i would have to manually adjust each cell, not meaning manually dragging them, but at least selecting them one by one and then changing their height. Am i correct?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2020 0
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, select the whole table.

Hover your pointer at the top of a table column; when it becomes an arrow, click to select the whole column, then hold and drag across the other columns to select all cells.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm feeling really dumb here haha

You said

I would achieve balance manually by selecting the entire table and setting an exact row height for all rows. Then select just the rows where there is a line break and set the cell height to exactly 2X the initial row height previously set.

I can easily select the whole table to set the "standard" height for the single line cells. But what about the line break cells (the 2x height)? I don't think there's any other way to set the alternative height other than selecting them one by one?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2020 0
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I don't think there's any other way to set the alternative height other than selecting them one by one?"

Right. At the time, I was going only on your original screenshot, unaware that there are 4000-some rows in the table. It appeared there were just a few instances of 2-line cell height, and that they might be easily searchable by, say, finding "chronometre," for instance. knowing better now, I'd say it's still doable, albeit arduous and time consuming.

I'm compelled to mention that there are probably very few software-based page layout solutions designed with a 4500-row table in mind, so regardless of what your objectives might be, you're bound to bump up against some formidable obstacles on this project.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2020 0
Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gassadamante,

just a suggestion to ease your work with table cells of two or more lines of text:

If a table cell will go into overset, because you do all your table rows with a fixed height for one single line of text:
InDesign's Preflight function should give you all the overset cells and also the ability to navigate to an overset cell.

From my German InDesign:

Preflight-OversetTableCells.PNG

1. Click to select the overset table cell in the list of preflight errors.

2. Then change the fixed number for height.

Preflight-OversetTableCells-FixSelectedCell.png

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 08, 2020 0