Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

custom PDF preset difference between indesign and illustrator

New Here ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I have custom pdf preset which I use for every print material.

I noticed a large difference in size when i create document from illustrator and inDesign.

E.g. when I create pdf from indesign file size is about 19Mb, and from illustrator is about 100Mb.

Same pdf preset.

I noticed only that inDesign pdf trim all info outside of artboard, while illustrator keeps it, but file is not that bigger around artboard.
And I can't find that specific option, why pdf from illustrator is not trimmed around artboard (with bleed).

Can anybody tell me what is different?

I was confident that pdf preset will be the same from illustrator and indesign. Am I wrong (obviusly I am, but why?)?

PS: Unfortunately, I am under NDA, so I can't share pdf.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Srdjan

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify, did you create the document in each application? Or place from one application to the other? Can you share the settings for the job options as seen in each application?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane,

Thanks for reply.

Unfortunately i can't upload job option file, but i'm sending you screen shoot's.

I created files from each apps. From scratch. Same links, same everything.1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG6.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Crdjan 
Do you use Distiller?!  If so, don't. Just use "File -> Export" in InDesign or "Save As -> PDF" in Illustrator.

With Illustrator, make sure you don't check the box saying "Preserve Illustrator editing".
Otherwise you basically will include an .ai file within the pdf, making the file size larger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jens,

I didn't use distiller. PDF was created just as you mention it. InDesign ->export; Illustrator-> Save as pdf

Also, in illustrator option "Preserve Illustrator editing" is deselected.

Cheers,

Srdjan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the reason Jens asked about Distiller is, your captures seem to be from an old version of Distiller and not from InDesign’s File>Adobe PDF Presets>Define.

InDesign’s PDF Preset editor Advanced tab looks like this:

Screen Shot 1.png

The Distiller Advanced tab looks like more like your capture:

Screen Shot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 2.20.03 PM.pngDoes your preset include the checked button for "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities" ?

This will make your Illustrator file considerably larger since it's including all your file "assets", in a way, along with the PDF. This would include uncompressed images that are embedded in the file, etc, etc.  Uncheck it, if it's on, and see what the diference in size is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

"Preserve Illustrator editing" option is deselected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One feature missing from Illustrator is the ability to crop images. If you show only a small portion of an image in InDesign you can choose to crop the image in the PDF so only the part of the image that shows is embedded in the PDF. Illustrator doesn’t offer this feature so the entire image is embedded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines