• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cut and Paste Within InDesign Removes Formatting

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to cut and paste a block of text within the same document in InDesign, it removes all of the styling. It doesn’t matter if I’m using style sheets or not. I also updated InDesign to the latest version today and it did not resolve the issue. See attached – when I select, copy and paste the left hand-column copy into the right column, all of the styling is lost.CutAndPasteIssue.png

TOPICS
Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Place instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm not actually trying to place the copy from another doc. It's just when I select the content (in this example, the whole block on the right) and paste in the left column, the stylings disappear (no bold, size shrinks down to the same size, etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this happen when copying from one document them pasting in another, copying and pasting within the same document, or both? Does this happen with all documents or only some documents? Have you tried deleting preferences?

https://indesignsecrets.com/rebuilding-indesign-preferences.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens both within the same doc and when I create a new doc and try to paste it in. I just tried deleting the preferences as you suggested, but the issue persists. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you paste without formatting perhaps?

when you paste do yo use "command + V" or "command + shift + V" ("ctrl + V" or "ctrl + shift + V" on pc)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm doing the usual selct copy, "command + c", and then "command +v". If I do it using the menu, the option to paste without formatting is actually grayed out and not an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want to share the file so that we can take a look?

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the file: https://we.tl/t-K8Xaa5qhDw The copy and paste issue is only happening on my machine. I tested on another computer and it copy and pasted as expected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you try to reinstall indesign to solve this problem?

Also, this problems may occur if you have recently installed a third-party utility

If yes, try to uninstall it and see if you solved the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kblvgo:

I'm not experiencing this issue with the file. 

copy.gif

Next step is to rebuild preferences/cache: https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problems does not happen on my computer using your file. Works as expected when pasting formatted text.

Have you tried restoring all preferences and default settings?

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/using/setting-preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeff and BarbBinder. I tried restoring preferences and that didn't seem to solve the problem. I will also try to see if indeed there is perhaps a third party app that is affecting this somehow. Not sure how to determine that though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll bet ya you have set InDesign/Preferences to Paste without formatting...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Frans:

Where is that preference?

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kblvgo:

I tried restoring preferences and that didn't seem to solve the problem.

How, exactly, did you reset preferences? If you haven't followed the steps under "Rebuilding the cache files",  be sure to give them a shot.

I will also try to see if indeed there is perhaps a third party app that is affecting this somehow. Not sure how to determine that though...

And are you using a clipboard manager? What operating system are you using? 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

I am hoping that your issue has been resolved till now. If not, please feel free to update this thread else let us know if any of the suggestions shared above helped you or not.

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines