Highlighted

Data Merge Error: Multiple Records duplicates one random entry

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need some help here - I'm pretty sure I've set everything up perfectly, and most baffling the preview looks perfect.

I have 80 different card prototypes in CSV file, everything looks primo. But when it comes time to actually create the file, it does the most random thing (every time). Exporting straight to PDF does the same. CSV file looks extremely ordinary, nothing weird there. And why card 21??

Can't find any other instances of this happening on the forum.

Here is a very rough screen recording:

Suggestions? Really keen to start playtesting! Thank you wonderful people

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by SJRiegel | Adobe Community Professional

There is a chance that this is the result of a long-standing bug in the Multiple-Record preview. Previewing the layout can introduce random errors that don't go away.

If this is indeed the cause, then the only cure is to create a new template layout document, and generate the merge without previewing first.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Data Merge Error: Multiple Records duplicates one random entry

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need some help here - I'm pretty sure I've set everything up perfectly, and most baffling the preview looks perfect.

I have 80 different card prototypes in CSV file, everything looks primo. But when it comes time to actually create the file, it does the most random thing (every time). Exporting straight to PDF does the same. CSV file looks extremely ordinary, nothing weird there. And why card 21??

Can't find any other instances of this happening on the forum.

Here is a very rough screen recording:

Suggestions? Really keen to start playtesting! Thank you wonderful people

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by SJRiegel | Adobe Community Professional

There is a chance that this is the result of a long-standing bug in the Multiple-Record preview. Previewing the layout can introduce random errors that don't go away.

If this is indeed the cause, then the only cure is to create a new template layout document, and generate the merge without previewing first.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 23, 2018 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2018 3
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks SJRiegel - you're unfortunately totally correct.

Restart didn't help - but creating a new document, and pasting in my already made box and styles into it (and not previewing) did.

You say this is a long-standing bug? It makes data merge almost unusable!

Please let me know if there's something I can do to help inspire movement on this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2018 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best way to inspire movement on this is to prepare a bug report here: Adobe InDesign Feedback

When submitting the report, point to this forum thread, and if possible, attach actual samples of the artwork with the fault.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done! Thanks Colin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 30, 2018 0