Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Data Merge including images between texts

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!
I am a game designer and I am currently prototyping a board game. I've only just discovered the "Data Merge" option in InDesign and it's pretty handy for iterating and printing cards quickly.
The problem is that I would like to know if it is possible to add some kind of special characters like emojy but personalized. For example, for one of my cards I would have "Win 3 gold coins" and "gold coins" will be just a icon, then in my exel / Gsheet file I would have "Win 3 'gc' ", and 'gc' would refer to an image that would be automatically integrated into the text.

I have seen this solution which seems close to what I am looking for but, I don't really know how to replace the smiley faces with icons that I would have created myself.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/how-can-you-get-text-including-emojis-into-a-data-merge-docu...

I don't even know if this is possible.

I'm not really shure that's InDesign related but it's seems to be a great place to ask.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

It's going to be a bit fastidious but at least it's working !

Thanks !

I'll wait if someone have a better option, but if not, i'll tag that as a "correct answer"

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set up an image field in your data that will pull the images you name directly into an image frame.  

Have the header of the column begin with @ to make this happen.  In Excel, you will have to use '@ to prevent Excel from seeing the @ as part of a formula.  For instance '@image

It will then show in the Data Merge panel as an image field 

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 9.40.17 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea I've seen that but this only work with the idea to add an Image anonly that. 
Here what I want to do is to add an image ( Icon ) between texts like in this example.

The link I've send is a way to do so with smiley but I can't found a way to add my icon and not basic smiley.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not 100% automatic, but you can choose a pair of symbols to represent each symbol, and then use Find > Change to replace each set of symbols with the icons by copying each one to the clipboard and: 

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 11.00.06 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 11.00.52 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's going to be a bit fastidious but at least it's working !

Thanks !

I'll wait if someone have a better option, but if not, i'll tag that as a "correct answer"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One idea would be to built an SVG color font with your icons.

But do not ask me what tools exactly you need for this. Also: This would result in RGB colors

Hm. Maybe that will help:

https://glyphsapp.com/learn/creating-an-svg-color-font

But also note that SVG color fonts are "experimental technology" with InDesign.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks !

It's look a bit hard to do but yea, I'll try, that might do the trick . I'll try soon .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines