data merge indesign

New Here ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on an event programm with approx. 150 pages. most of the content of the programm are articles containing the same text classes and all these articles are formatted in the same way. 

to ease my workflow I tried to import the text from excel via data merge to indesign. which worked (partly) perfectly well, as all articles were formatted automatically. alas indesign puts every article in a single textframe, which is no use, as articles have differnet length and there is a different number of articles on each page (from 1 to 5 articles).

my question is:  how do I get indesign to put all my articles in one linked textframe and NOT putting each article in a separate frame? 

thx for infos.

TOPICS
How to, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my question is:  how do I get indesign to put all my articles in one linked textframe and NOT putting each article in a separate frame? 

By @oliverm89011752

The answer is, unfortunately, by not using Data Merge. Data Merge is rightly treating each article as a discrete "record," because that's just how data merging works in general.

To get what you want, you'd have to set up the document with a master text frame and Place the articles from a non-fragmented source like Word.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@John Mensinger  schrieb:

To get what you want, you'd have to set up the document with a master text frame and Place the articles from a non-fragmented source like Word.

not exactly, I only get half of what I want, because if working with the master frame I have to format 150 pages text by hand using style sheets. that's the way I currently work: text import from a word file to a master text frame.

my aim was to make indesign do a first, repetitive formatting of articles automatically. the finishing of the layout - e.g. the breakdown of articles on pages or optimizing the linebreak - would be made »by hand« afterwards... this procedure would noticeably reduce the workload. 

no way of making this work?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the data merge, you can use this plugin to thread the text frames together

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you put your placeholders on the first page or on the master page?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Creamer Training  schrieb:

Did you put your placeholders on the first page or on the master page?

on the first page.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Data Merge is very limited--it's actually started with PageMaker before InDesign ever existed.

If you want to use the built-in Data Merge, check out this script:

http://support.ozalto.com/downloads/inlineMerge.zip

Here is an article on it:

https://creativepro.com/data-merge-into-inline-anchored-objects-so-they-flow-in-a-story/

BTW, I use Em Software's InData. Not free, but extremely powerful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you're on a Mac you may try MyDataMerge (https://mydatamerge.com).

Build your article template and use << >> to embed your data placeholders. Group the article template and copy/paste it into a single textframe.

Drag/Drop the layout and your datasource e.g. Excel in MyDataMerge, connect  placeholders with your datasource. This is simple and MyDataMerge supports inline Merge out of the box.

There's a free version although it's limited

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines