Exit

Data Merge preview looks fine but outputs duplicates

Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to use data merge to make tickets
I'm quite new at this
looked in several forms but I'm not sure why after the data merge is done all the numbers are wrong
I'm trying to make consecutive serial numbered tickets

even previewing up to page 7 all the numbers seem fine and all

but after it finishes merging all the data are wrong

I'm not sure what I've set wrong

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

I've figured out why eventually
my file was somehow corrupted so no matter what I had tried, exporting the list in different files txt xls csv didn't work at all
having two data merge on the page actually works too (in the end I exported the file I wanted perfectly fine)
in the end I just tried opening a completely new document, and copied every element in to the new file one by one, so before that I actually tried doing that 4 times (but it was I copied EVERYTHING on it and pasted to a new file) t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need only one merge field up in the design. It will replicate along with the other stuff.

When you have a field that is duplicated, it will have one set of data in each of those positions. Which is handy in some circumstances--like tickets with stubs where one wants the number to be duplicated on each part of the ticket.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a suggestion

If you know how to work with excel than it would be very easy to do Data merge. Save your excel as .xls/.csv or .txt files and open the data merge in Indesign and do import the .csv file with do tick the option "show import option" in the import dialog box.

Tx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's saved as a .txt file, and then I later tried .csv

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've figured out why eventually
my file was somehow corrupted so no matter what I had tried, exporting the list in different files txt xls csv didn't work at all
having two data merge on the page actually works too (in the end I exported the file I wanted perfectly fine)
in the end I just tried opening a completely new document, and copied every element in to the new file one by one, so before that I actually tried doing that 4 times (but it was I copied EVERYTHING on it and pasted to a new file) too but it was still not working
so apparently the only part that was corrupt was actually the data merging part, once i copied things one by one and then remade a new txt box and did the data merge completely from scratch it worked this time.
dumb ass solution. I know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines