Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Data Merge Scripting

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone

I am trying to come up with a solution for a time consuming process we have. 

The original post here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/streamline-printing-process/m-p/11735514?page=1#M409925

Had a suggestion to re-post under scripting.

tobyb71827903_1-1610327195589.png

In the image above you can see a snippet of a .csv file containing data merge data and the InDesign file I am connected to

From this file I want to print a series of tax receipts to be posted out

However depending on the person who will receive the receipt, they only need to receive a certain page from the InDesign file.

e.g.
Record 1 - column C contains 'Xmas20' this person should only receive page 1 of the InDesign file or 'Xmas-Master'
Record 2 - column C contains 'Tax20' this person should only receive page 2 of the InDesign file or 'Tax-Master'

For further details, the real data contains 1000s of records and there are dozens of different pages

Any suggestions on how I could accomplish this?

TOPICS
How to , Print , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the content of the Masters don’t include specific datafield, you can create the master as separated PDF and merge it when executing the Datamerge. 

Place the Masters PDF into a single folder where you will also save your .CSV use by InDesign Datamerge. That way you don't have to write the entire path to you file on your HD.

Capture d’écran, le 2021-01-10 à 22.05.12.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jean

I will keep this solution in mind there are datafields involved however. So this would be a back up solution

I was hoping that indesign could handle something like

If <<Receipt>> is "Xmas20" then Xmas (refering to either master or a layer in the file)

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @tobyb71827903 ,

Basic scripts will only look at data after it has been merged on to a page. The current and most basic scripting will only handle a work flow like; Merge doc > Run script > Change master pages.

However if you want it to do more than this, it is most likely you would have to replace the merge tool with something else. This is totally possible but also a lot more work than the basic script above. Hopefullythis gives you a better direction on what to look for and how to develop it.

A quick question and suggestion:

1. How many different receipts are there? If its only a small number it might be better off just splitting the data (A python script could do this easy) and then just merging those documents?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the direction @tacoeater 

The biggest project has nearly 40 receipts now. Currently about 12 projects with anywhere from 5 to 40. 

Currently splitting the data. But the help through the forum has definitely guided me on what the limitations/options are. I see something like MyDataMerge (although I don't use mac) would be the best option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines