• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DEADLINE PENDING! ANY HELP?? -- My paragraph is all flowing to one line, and I'm stumped.

Engaged ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am making edits in a book layout, predominately using a Body Text paragraph style. The style is set to 15 pts leading, aligned to "all lines," and there is an underlying 15-pt document grid.

Elsewhere in the book, this works just as it should.  But something is going haywire with one paragraph up front. The whole paragraph is all landing on one line.  (See attached .png of the lower half of my text frame.) If I temporarily change the leading to 16 pts, the para spreads out, but of course, that is not the leading I need.

The problem paragraph follows three bullets which I've "split" to set up in three columns.

• If I insert a lone pilcrow after these bullets, to separate them from the misbehaving paragraph, the paragraph then behaves.
  • If I enter any test type next to the lone pilcrow, it misbehaves just like its predecessor paragraph.
  • If I delete the lone pilcrow and the "bad" para again follows these bullets, it goes back to misbehaving.

What makes all this more confusing is that (as shown in the .png) I did the exact same thing with three other bullets and a Body Text paragraph just above this trouble spot, and that paragraph is not misbehaving.

I've tried every trick I know to fix this and am having no luck. I think I have run into this before but can't remember how I fixed it, if I ever did. I'm up against a deadline and would appreciate any suggestions, as soon as possible!

P.S. If I add one point of space below the last bullet (3rd column), it pushes the miscreant paragraph down one line too far on the page but the paragraph does stop bunching up. So it does seem to have something to do with the split-up bullets. There should be two empty lines of white space following each set of bullets, but as it is, I can't get away with less than three after the second set of bullets withou the "bad" paragraph bunching up. <sigh>

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Thanks, Roaring Mouse. For expediency (read: deadlines!), I have given your suggestion a try. I've never needed to do this -- i.e., turn off "Align: All Lines" to one single paragraph -- and couldn't find a direct command to do so, but assumed that taking it off-grid in the Control Palette would accomplish the same thing (and that actually may be the only way, but if there IS another way, short of creating a new style, I'd appeciate you letting me know, and thanks in advance). 

Once I took the p

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post the file to the forum? If you have Dropbox or similar, post a link to the Dropbox folder. If you're not comfortable sharing the content of your work, maybe replace the type with placeholder text for the upload.
Without seeing the file, I'm guessing you may have some issues with the keep options. I won't be able to reply until tomorrow, but with a sample file to look at, you should get an answer fairly quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Migintosh. As you guessed, I can't post the file for confidentiality reasons and, as time is of the essence right now, I don't have time to create a dummy file just at the moment. I may come back to this thread later and do that, though, as it would be nice to know exactly what caused this! Thanks for being willing, though. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you turn off "Align: All Lines" on the offending paragraph and see what happens. If your leading is already 15pt the same as your baseline grid, it shouldn't matter anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Roaring Mouse. For expediency (read: deadlines!), I have given your suggestion a try. I've never needed to do this -- i.e., turn off "Align: All Lines" to one single paragraph -- and couldn't find a direct command to do so, but assumed that taking it off-grid in the Control Palette would accomplish the same thing (and that actually may be the only way, but if there IS another way, short of creating a new style, I'd appeciate you letting me know, and thanks in advance). 

Once I took the para off-grid, I used the baseline shift to raise it to where I needed it to be. It is a workaround that has not only saved the day but also my time and my mental stability, and I thank you for stirring my brain to the obvious! (I'm feeling a little "well, duh!" just now, LOL.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines