- Can only synch styles manually and when I do this all my custom text boxes (Object Styles) get reset and are too short afterwards?
- Can't synch single styles (or keep them in-synch across a book automatically). If you check a tiny symbol at the wrong place it synchs in the wrong direction and overwrites my changes?
- Outline of paragraphs sometimes go right through the text, instead of staying around it? If I delete 1 line and insert it again, it's fixed. But this is really dangerous, because I don't want my finished book to contain errors like that.
- Plays an error sound when it finds the text I was searching for? (CRTL F)
- Sometimes displays wrong formatting (inside characters) but corrects this when you scroll? This is very starteling.
- Has no save all button? I have several chapters open for various reasons and I have to save every tab individually?
- Cannot deleted some empty pages unless you do something that feels like hacking into the source code. The best thing about it: visually it deletes them, but if you scroll the mouse they're back and if I delete the text frames on the, the pages get duplicated. It's like the hydra, chop off one head and two new ones grow. Except this is a program I wanted to work with, not a dragon I want to fight.
- If text starts at the first row of the page, I can't anchor an image so the text wraps. The first line doesn't wrap, if goes behind the image. Somebody suggested to make an invisible line that's 0pt thick. Please tell me this hack is not the correct solution.
- Sometimes I can't drag an anchored image onto the page that the anchor is on, it just jumps back after I release the mouse, I had to cut and paste it at the correct position.
- Can't create an object that contains text and anchor it in a text body. I guess it would work if I put it inside a table, but when I pasted it, it just did weird stuff instead of letting me know that's not possible.
- Inserts a 2. Figure number when I make a new line in an image caption and when I use SHIFT + RETURN, it screws up the justify alignment big time?
- Sometimes creates entire lines where the space bar is 0pt thick, so the entire line looks like 1 word?
- Has no native support for displaying even the most simple math formulas?
- Updates the caption figure numbers automatically, but the references to them in the text need to be updated manually?
Don't even get me started about the tiny notes that you can hardly see, not comment and not mark as resolved. And even if you click inside the yellow symbol inside the text, you have to click "jump to next node" afterwards, to see the note you just klicked on.
I have worked with many programs professionally, not just Adobe, but UI and workflow-wise the worst are:
Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop,
in that order. I feel like they just kept piling on to the UI design created in 1980 and in order not to scare their long-term cusomers, they never thought about changing it to match the 40 years of UI research.
The After Effects UI is fine, if you ask me.
So please tell me I'm a noob, and there is a simple solution/explanation for all the points I mentioned above.
Please note you are not addressing Adobe on here, this a peer-to-peer support forum. InDesign feature requests should be posted here: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests
Regarding specific issues, please state your InDesign version and OS.
How much RAM and spare disk capacity you have.
Any error messages.
Have you tried resetting the InDesign preferences?
None of these issues (except maybe the display of single messed up characters and the line going through the text) seems to be a bug. Most of them missing features, or what seems like intended behavior that I have not understood.
Win 10, 32GB RAM, 17GB free disk space. Error Messages: None, that's my issue.
Copy link to clipboard
I don't think many of them are bugs and I wanted to make sure I'm not missing something. The 'call me a noob' may have not been a good formulation, but I meant it. Someone tell me what I'm doing wrong with each issue, if I still think it's a bug, I'll report it.