• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Default Paragraph styles shows only [Basic Paragraph] style

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I open a new document and click on Paragraph styles only [Basic Paragraph] shows up. No other styles are available. If I click the lightning icon (apply quick style) only a few are available. e.g. Heading styles or title styles are not seen in the drop-down list. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling InDesign thinking that might do the trick but to no avail. I have attached a screenshot of how my paragraph styles dialog looks. Foxed, appreciate all help.In Design problem.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

What you're seeing is "as designed."

If you want to see additional paragraph styles, you can add them when no document is open. (You can do the same things with swatches and other attributes.) Then every new document will show the paragraph styles, character styles, object styles, swatches, etc. that you've added as a default setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you're seeing is "as designed."

If you want to see additional paragraph styles, you can add them when no document is open. (You can do the same things with swatches and other attributes.) Then every new document will show the paragraph styles, character styles, object styles, swatches, etc. that you've added as a default setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer. With no documents open, I click on F11 for the paragraph styles menu, how can I add default title styles or heading 1, 2, 3, styles etc.? e.g. inbuilt title is not available, nor the heading style. Do we have to define each of them according to my needs?

Seems to be a lot of effort for what are finally basic styles. Of course, an individual can then modify the basic styles supplied by Adobe to suit his/her preferences and customize it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all: InDesign is NOT Office/Word...

Do we have to define each of them according to my needs?

Yes, you do have. This is called Layout/Design.

You can also import existing Paragraph and/or Character Styles from existing documents or from CC Libraries.

I suggest to take a beginner Workshop for Indesign in your area or check out Youtube etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

You’ll find a number of short training videos listed in the Creative Cloud app, also Lynda.com have a range of online video tutorials, such as InDesign CC 2019 Essential Training you can get 30-days free access. There are some excellent books — for example, the Classroom in a Book series are very good

And you can return here with specific questions of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines