• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Default Swatches panel

Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you load default color swatches.  I have restored some archived files that only have spot colors in the swatches. I need the default CMYK colors. The panel won't allow me to add them because of naming conflicts.  How do I get these swatches back?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

The names "Black", "Cyan", "Yellow", "Magenta", "Process Black", "Process Cyan", "Process Yellow", "Process Magenta", "Paper", "None", "Registration" cannot be used as swatch names because they are already used by the application. You can create a 100% cyan only (Process or Spot), CMYK defined swatch (100|0|0|0), with any other name.

The default CMYK Swatches, which you would get if you trashed your preferences and created a new print intent document, are these:

Screen Shot 17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need the default CMYK colors. The panel won't allow me to add them because of naming conflicts.

By @Sparrowhawk-AES

That seems to suggest you have spot colors named with CMYK values (as are the default CMYK swatches). Is that the case? Otherwise, the only likely conflict might be [Black]. 

How did you go about attempting to load them, and exactly what happened when you did?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only the PMS spots are in the file currently in the swatches panel. I need Yellow, Cyan, and Magenta. They are not currently in the swatches panel. I am adding Cyan, magenta and Yellow items and cannot add those colors to my nearly empty panel. InDesign displays and error message that denies the request to add a "Cyan", "Yellow", "Magenta" swatch. I would like to add the default, CMYK panel or default RGB panel back into some of the archive files we are reactivating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried opening a new document that DOES have those default colors? Maybe build three rectangles and apply the three default colors you want, C, M, Y. Then copy n paste them into your older document? Does it allow it?

Also, Edit > Preferences > General > When Placing or Pasting Content: what is that switch set to?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a new document with default colors.  It names the swatches by Color Value.
"Cyan", "Magenta", "Yellow" are reserved names so I cannot rename the swatches that way.

I will develop one of the suggested work-arounds.

Edit > Preferences > General > When Placing or Pasting Content: is not checked/selected.

We will adjust our structure and workflow to work with InDesign's limitations with no accessible default swatches. I thought the simplest solution would be to load default palettes.  I am assuming they do not exist in a location that is readily accessible.

We will work with vendors to achieve a smooth file export that works with their RIPs and Imposition software. I believe they will be able to work with exports without the Color Names.

I will research color palettes and swatch imports to see if there are other solutions.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The names "Black", "Cyan", "Yellow", "Magenta", "Process Black", "Process Cyan", "Process Yellow", "Process Magenta", "Paper", "None", "Registration" cannot be used as swatch names because they are already used by the application. You can create a 100% cyan only (Process or Spot), CMYK defined swatch (100|0|0|0), with any other name.

The default CMYK Swatches, which you would get if you trashed your preferences and created a new print intent document, are these:

Screen Shot 17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed.  This string has all the basic knowledge I was looking for.  

We are going to create a new document for archive restoration.  The archived content will be transfered to the conversion file. The new swatch palette will be amended and content colors reassigned.  This walk through on the swatch panel has been very informative and has provided us the understanding to deveop a quick conversion process.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have restored some archived files that only have spot colors in the swatches. I need the default CMYK colors.

Also, you can use the Swatches Panel’s Ink Manager to automatically convert Spot swatches to Process color. Here I have a Spot color named BlueSpot, which has a color definition of CMYK 100|0|0|0. If I check All Spots to Process, and export or output to document CMYK, BlueSpot will output  as process CMYK with the same defined values:

Screen Shot 18.png

If the Spot color has an RGB or Lab definition, the exported color will be a color managed conversion to the chosen Destination CMYK profile in the Export Output tab, or the Lab color unchanged if you choose No Color Conversion:

Screen Shot 19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is very helpful information.  My color brain is moving along again. This color conversion process has provided the last link in this file restoration process.  The exports we have generated are working well.  The archives now have an update/conversion process that delivers exports with efficiency and color accuracy.

Thank you.

Thank you all.

Adobe Wan Kanobi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines