• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Desperate for interpretation of InDesign CS5.5 crash logs and guidance on possible fix in 10.13.6

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortuantly, I currently have to still use InDesign CS5.5 in an old workflow environment. It works on a legacy workstation that is running 10.11.6. However, I needed to upgrade the environment to 10.13.6 recently, and InDesign CS5.5 as well as the other CS5.5 apps now crash on launch. I'm hoping that someone might have encountered this before and possibly might have some insight. I am pasting just the crash portion of the details below. It appears to be related to OpenGL? Any help would be appreciated, I have to get this working for a project by tomorrow... Thank you.

Process:               Adobe InDesign CS5.5 [2433]

Path:                  /Applications/Adobe InDesign CS5.5/Adobe InDesign CS5.5.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe InDesign CS5.5

Identifier:            com.adobe.InDesign

Version:               7.5.3.333 (7530)

Code Type:             X86 (Native)

Parent Process:        ??? [1]

Responsible:           Adobe InDesign CS5.5 [2433]

User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2020-06-03 02:58:16.870 -0400

OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.13.6 (17G66)

Report Version:        12

Anonymous UUID:        730EAB98-6638-2E98-F668-80ABEBD29E6E

Time Awake Since Boot: 3400 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000

Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11

Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb

Terminating Process:   exc handler [0]

VM Regions Near 0:

--> 

__TEXT                 0000000000001000-0000000000005000 [   16K] r-x/rwx SM=COW   [/Applications/Adobe InDesign CS5.5/Adobe InDesign CS5.5.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe InDesign CS5.5]

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0   com.apple.opengl              0x9b3e9e05 CGLDescribeRenderer + 82

1   com.adobe.psl                 0x0e182cb6 0xddd7000 + 3849398

2   com.adobe.psl                 0x0e2cae14 PSLInit + 4542

3   com.adobe.psl                 0x0e3150a1 PSLCreateStringFromErrorCode + 221985

4   com.adobe.psl                 0x0e31355a PSLCreateStringFromErrorCode + 215002

5   com.adobe.psl                 0x0e2c99a2 PSLFreeUnusedVM + 2320

6   com.adobe.psl                 0x0e2c9c06 PSLFreeUnusedVM + 2932

7   com.adobe.InDesign.Photoshop Import Filter 0x11258aec GetPlugIn + 90796

8   com.adobe.InDesign.Photoshop Import Filter 0x1126809b GetPlugIn + 153691

9   com.adobe.InDesign.Photoshop Import Filter 0x1126936e GetPlugIn + 158510

10  com.adobe.InDesign.Photoshop Import Filter 0x11266d48 GetPlugIn + 148744

11  com.adobe.InDesign.AppFramework 0x0f460817 GetPlugIn + 912631

12  com.adobe.InDesign.AppFramework 0x0f3bcd71 GetPlugIn + 242257

13  com.adobe.InDesign.AppFramework 0x0f3bdcb9 GetPlugIn + 246169

14  com.adobe.InDesign.AppFramework 0x0f35fb18 0xf35d000 + 11032

15  com.adobe.InDesign.AppFramework 0x0f3852ea GetPlugIn + 14282

16  com.adobe.InDesign            0x000028ab main + 187

17  com.adobe.InDesign            0x000027c6 start + 54

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

It’s failing in the Apple graphics library that are part of the system. Upgrading was risky. Very risky. Consider downgrading, a separate machine, dual boot, or a VM like Parallels Desktop. Getting an installer for the old OS, if you don’t have a disk, may be a challenge. It isn’t even an option to subscribe, your new system is too old. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020
Maybe, but there's simply no way to troubleshoot it. CS5.5 is not supported under anything later than 10.10 so even at 10.11 you were pushing your luck.

I wish I had better news but you might want to check eBay for an old machine to run this on.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s failing in the Apple graphics library that are part of the system. Upgrading was risky. Very risky. Consider downgrading, a separate machine, dual boot, or a VM like Parallels Desktop. Getting an installer for the old OS, if you don’t have a disk, may be a challenge. It isn’t even an option to subscribe, your new system is too old. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign 2020 will run on 10.13 but without knowing the rest of the system specs it's hard to say how well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the old installers, but unfortunately, due to other workflows that require 10.13.x, I am unable to downgrade. It is an awful position to be in. I appreciate the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob, thank you for the reply. Yes, I have another system that is running ID 2020 with Adobe CC without issue on 10.13.6. However, it is ID CS5.5 that I need specifically for this legacy workflow. I tried removing plugins, fonts, every past trick I know, and no luck. I am running this in a Parallels VM, interestingly, a friend of mine ran it on his physical device with 10.13.6 successfully. So it seems that there may be an issue with Parallels/10.13.6/IDCS5.5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe, but there's simply no way to troubleshoot it. CS5.5 is not supported under anything later than 10.10 so even at 10.11 you were pushing your luck.

I wish I had better news but you might want to check eBay for an old machine to run this on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not two VMs? I have dozens, and representatives of all the recent macOS versions. Tip: once you get a working VM with an old app, archive a copy of the VM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortuantely, I'm constrained to run macOS 10.13 or later right now. There is no possibility of me running an earlier macOS. Frustratingly, I have confirmed that on a physical 10.13.6 build, CS5.5 will work as others have said once JavaForMacOSX is reinstalled. I wish I could just duplicate this in the Parallels VM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar issue. I have just picked up a 16-inch macbook pro, a lovely machine but it kills all 32-bit apps. So I installed Parallels with my previous OS (10.14). All apps work fine _except_ my legacy Adobe apps, Photoshop, InDesign 5.5. These crash when attempting to open a doc or create a new one. Apparently this is symptomatic of graphics driver issues. The crash log suggests an issue with an OpenGL. I have also tried regressing to a 10.13 guest, the behaviour is the same.

The good news is VMWare Fusion VMs will happily run these applications. Problem solved? Not quite. There is a bug in Fusion such that an OSX (and Windows?) guest offsets the mouse pointer location by about 10px horizontal and vertical. This is fine for basic tasks that involve pushing buttons but completely hopeless when it comes to working in any graphics software.  The VMWare bug has progressed through many major releases, I am amazed that the company hasn't resolved it. It seems to be related to retina displays and display resolutions, but I can't find a fix.

I don't think it's a good enough response to say these are legacy unsupported apps so what do you expect. What I expect is true software emulation as advertised by both Parallels and VMWare. In both cases, for different reasons, this is a fail. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bit of a long post, but good news, CS5.5 can work on Mojave!

I have also kept hold of my old CS5.5 master collection, and have been apprehensive about upgrading my OS incase it stops any of the CS applications from working. The MacBook Air that it was intalled on was bought (new) in 2013, so CS5.5 would have originally been installed on an OS which supported it. Gradually, I updated the OS to Mojave to get some added functionality in something unrelated (variable fonts in Safari maybe?) earlier this year, and CS5.5 continued to work.

I've been aware for a while that 32-bit applications won't work on Catalina without a virtual machine, so finally picked up a 2019 MacBook Pro this week. I dug out the CS5.5 installation disks and gave it a go. Initially it was promising, but then returned a load of errors.

Next I tried using a time machine of the old Air to get the software on the new Pro (note: if you use the migration assistant, you can chose to copy over only the software rather than the whole image of the system, which is useful. This also seems to be addative, so you don't lose any existing apps, just add new ones which were on the old machine). After updating the Pro's version of Mojave to match that on the Air (10.14.6), my applications on the Air were copied over.

So far I've tested out Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign, but all work well. There are two known bugs with workarounds (the photoshop thing where you need to tick a box in your system preferences giving it access, and tweaking the name of two folders to stop receiving crash reports every time you close an app).

So... long story short - if you are able to install CS on an older machine which can handle the installation disks, upgrade the OS on that machine to match the OS on the machine you'd like to move the apps across to, then use time machine, it can/should work.

I'm not sure if the migration assistant only copying over the applications is only a mojave thing, so maybe check that out if you're using a different OS version and don't want to copy the whole image of the machine over.

Hope this helps someone out there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thing I forgot to say above... I also had a popup telling me I needed to install some Java thing, which I did, and after that the apps were fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've just come across this thread by search.

If you still have trouble with VMware Fusion display offsets, it may help to try different monitors.

My 16" MacBook Pro has two external monitors, one Dell U3014 and one Dell 4320Q .

The 30" is working without resolution scaling.

The new 42" was apparently detected as Retina and I had to use Resolution >> Scaled >> "More Space" to run it at original resolution. Unlike the 30", that 42" monitor has given me troubles like mouse translations (offset and scale, click location different from displayed pointer) and would even limit the mouse to exclude edges (could not reach the Apple menu). I haven't yet attempted to sort this out with VMWare support …

Therefor one suggestion is to try different resolution settings, or alternative external monitors.

Instead of VMWare's display modes I also frequently use VNC, with the advantage that you can use it cross machines - my CS5 still runs on a pre-retina MBP with original 10.7.

You enable screen sharing in your VM with System Preferences >> Sharing >> Screen Sharing

The prefs panel will display a URL such as "vnc://192.168.178.123". Use Copy&Paste on it.

Open that URL in Safari - it will offer to open in "Screen Sharing" app - Allow. Note the new "Screen Sharing" app icon in the dock - right click >> Options >> Keep in Dock . The next time you launch it from dock, a right click on the icon will even show recent URLs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines