Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Differences in creation of epub 2 and epub 3

Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone.

I am currently able to create ebooks in epub 2 format only.

I took a "test", starting from an InDesign file worked for epub 2, containing text and images: I tried to export this file to epub 3 and I saw that the result is not acceptable (for example, the images are overlaid with the text).

Can you tell me how I have to vary the processing, compared to what I usually do for epub 2, if I need to obtain an epub 3?

Or, if there are too many differences, I accept the advice to take a training course! I'm just trying to orient myself.

Thank you and have a nice day

Stefania

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

You cannot compare fixed layout and reflowable. They are completely different.

Fixed layout must be viewed in a compatible reader app (Books on Mac or iOS is the best) and fonts must be Opentype. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Use ePub 3 for Reflowable ePubs as well as FXL ePubs.

Producing Reflowable ePubs is not intuative, I suggest you take a course, such as those on Linkedin Learning by Anne-Marie Concepcion (you can get 30-days free access).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign? What operating system? Is it fixed layout or reflowable? How are you viewing this EPUB?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using InDesign CC 2019 on macOS High Sierra. When I export in epub 2 (reflowable), the file is perfectly fine (at least, I make some changes in Sigil), and then I vizualize it through iBooks or Calibre.

Regarding epub 3 (fixed layout), as better explained in my first post, I'm a newbie, just trying to figure things out! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot compare fixed layout and reflowable. They are completely different.

Fixed layout must be viewed in a compatible reader app (Books on Mac or iOS is the best) and fonts must be Opentype. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Use ePub 3 for Reflowable ePubs as well as FXL ePubs.

Producing Reflowable ePubs is not intuative, I suggest you take a course, such as those on Linkedin Learning by Anne-Marie Concepcion (you can get 30-days free access).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines