Highlighted

Disable hyphenation by default?

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

I'd like indesign to NEVER hyphenate a word for me. It seems I'm having to uncheck the hyphenation box for every text box.

I've tried turning hyphenation off and closing / quitting. When I start a new file it's checked again.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Manan Joshi | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Alex,

You should never edit the Basic Paragraph Style, it will cause more trouble for you. As i mentioned you just need make sure that no documents are open and then change the hyphenation to off from the Paragraph panel. Alternatively you could also create a new paragraph style with hyphenation off and make it the default paragraph style for your new documents.

Have a look at the link below for a description on why editing Basic Paragraph Style is a bad idea and how to make a paragraph style as default, in the link the property discussed is Font but the same applies to hyphenation as well.

https://indesignsecrets.com/3-ways-change-default-font-indesign-dont-edit-basic-paragraph.php

For any paragraph style that you have created and used in your old documents you would have to turn off hyphenation in all of them.

-Manan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Disable hyphenation by default?

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

I'd like indesign to NEVER hyphenate a word for me. It seems I'm having to uncheck the hyphenation box for every text box.

I've tried turning hyphenation off and closing / quitting. When I start a new file it's checked again.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Manan Joshi | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Alex,

You should never edit the Basic Paragraph Style, it will cause more trouble for you. As i mentioned you just need make sure that no documents are open and then change the hyphenation to off from the Paragraph panel. Alternatively you could also create a new paragraph style with hyphenation off and make it the default paragraph style for your new documents.

Have a look at the link below for a description on why editing Basic Paragraph Style is a bad idea and how to make a paragraph style as default, in the link the property discussed is Font but the same applies to hyphenation as well.

https://indesignsecrets.com/3-ways-change-default-font-indesign-dont-edit-basic-paragraph.php

For any paragraph style that you have created and used in your old documents you would have to turn off hyphenation in all of them.

-Manan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 05, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will have to switch off the hyphenation in all your paragraph styles. For text with default paragraph style, you could switch off the hyphenation from the Paragraph panel, with all the documents closed, hence forth all the text that you add to the document should have hyphenation off by default.

-Manan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2019 0
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I've just tried editing Basic Paragraph Style and turning hyphenation off. But when I open a new document it's back on again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As suggested by Manan, did you try switching off 'Hyphenate', with all documents closed?

With all documents closed, select Type tool, go to Paragraph Formatting Controls in the Control panel, and uncheck 'Hyphenate'.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2019 0
Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alex,

-Manan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2019 0
Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing settings with no documents open makes that the new default for all new documents. So you want to turn off hyphenation with no documents open.

This is now slightly complicated by InDesign showing the Start screen by default which we need to turn off. Uncheck the following option…

Preferences > General > Show "Start" Workspace When No Documents Are Open.

Open the Paragraph Panel…

Window > Type & Tables > Paragraph

Turn off the Hyphenate option in this panel.

You should now have turned off hyphenation for any new document. Congratulations

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2019 2
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I turned off the Start screen and made sure no documents were open… but it didn't fix the problem for me. Hyphenation is still on by default in new documents.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2019 0
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks everyone! Disabling the start menu and making the changes with no docs open has worked!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2019 0
Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As soon as you close all docs, I no longer have access to the palettes. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 23, 2020 0