Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disable Indesign Lock Files

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is it possible to disable the .idlk files that are created when opening an InDesign document?

If not, is it possible to change the directory they are created in (the default is the same directory as the file is contained).

Looking forward to your replies

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, when a document is opened you will find the lock file on the same place. Why do you want to get rid of it? Others in the network or on your computer will see so that a specific file is open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2013 Feb 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to get it to work with our SharePoint solution.

As the files create a ~filename~hash.idlk file, the tilde key isn't a valid character in SharePoint sites, so the file's can't be opened.

SharePoint has the same built in functionality of stopping multiple users editing the same files so it isn't needed for us anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seriously doubt that there's anyway to defeat InDesign's built-in method for creating lock files. You'll simply have to copy InDesign files from your SharePoint server onto your local drive before opening them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Theoretically, it could be possible to create an ID stert-up for File > Open that runs an OS delete file <some-part-of-the-filename.idlk> command when the file has fully opened on Sharepoint. No idea of the consequences, though. Perhaps there's a Sharepoint method of disabling its file-locking for ID files, which is a good reason to check with Sharepoint forums or tech support.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to get it to work with our SharePoint solution.

I've seen some pretty competent Sharepoint devs try and fail to build workflows for InDesign users. In fact, it's my second-favorite way to humble a Sharepoint developer. However, seeing as we've seen a number of requests like yours on the forums, I think that there may well be a large enough pool of Sharepoint-integration-needing folks to merit a feature request.

(Note that there are two different links - one to the InDesign feature request forum, another to the Adobe feature-request submission form.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2013 Feb 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@peter at knowhowpro; That wouldn't work, as the temporary file wouldn't be able to create in the first place, hence the document will not open.

Thanks @Joel Cherney, I'm still awestruck that it seems no-one has been able to integrate the two together, or if they have, they are keeping the secret to themselves I presume most just most away from storing their InDesign data from SharePoint as soon as they run into the first set of issues, which I can understand, however it isn't optimal for us.

I'll do a search and then submit through a feature+request.

Thanks for your time anyway, i'll post back if we have some magical breakthrough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2014 Mar 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into this issue.   There is one workaround, but it isn't perfect.  Once you save your file to SharePoint, open it by using the open dialog and selecting "Open as Copy".  That will not lock the original file.  When you go to save your changes, just do a regular save.  It will prompt you to overwrite the original since you are updating a "copy".

The down side is a little extra work on open and no lock to prevent two people from modifying the same file at the same time.  If you are collaborating on a project, so be careful not to overwrite anyone else's work.  The up side is that you can use SharePoint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Four years later, and this is the only thing that works. Why haven't Adobe fixed this??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post feature requests here so the product managers and engineers can see them:

Feature Requests/Bugs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish you all luck with using SharePoint as a server to remotely open and save your InDesign documents. There is a ton of threads having to do with the tilde character and incompatibility.

The bigger issue though is connectivity. Adobe always recommends saving local and transferring outside of the app. There are many posts about corrupted files from OneDrive and SharePoint on here as well. Read and proceed with caution.

You cannot remove the temp file - it's a core feature in InDesign as it is your recovery document (among other things) should said file crash.

Running an InDesign project on SharePoint

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can’t and won’t speak to Sharepoint but I’ve never had an issue with OneDrive or Dropbox. Both have saved me grief over the years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2016 Oct 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I wonder if there is a way to ask for a different character than ~ tilda, something that SharePoint would not reject

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Because it is corrupting my files when ID crashes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Posted a feature request asking for the Tilde to be changed to an Underscore, Starting the lock file with an underscore will automatically hide the lock file in Sharepoint making it not easily seen. I would like to point out that Office documents use a tilde for their temporary files so Obviously MS works some magic to allow for this on their own file types.Shocking I know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello i will do this work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post feature requests here so the product managers and engineers can see them:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Was this issue ever resolved? I've been having exactly the same problem with SharePoint and it's driving me crazy not being able to sync files when InDesign is open!

I've tried a feature request, but the links in this thread no longer exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

for bug reports and feature requests go to:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

Our customer had the same issue.

Unfortunately, Adobe still has no solution until now.

Here is a small work around:

(SharePoint Online Administrator only)

Go to OneDrive Admin Center> Sync> Block certain file extensions

Enter here idlk

!!! Please note that if two people work on an InDesign project at the same time, nothing is overwritten here, but a copy is created. The file then exists twice, in different versions!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines