• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disabled Captions options after Caption Setup is Complete

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, really struglling with image captions. I've set up a caption paragraph style and assigned it in the Captions Setup dialog box.

As far as I can figure it, I've done everything I need to do to set up captioning. However, when I click on an image to add a caption, only the Captions Setup menu item is enabled. The options for actually adding a static or live caption are disabled (greyed out).

What might I be doing wrong? 

TOPICS
EPUB , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @GrahamCow:

Do you have one or more graphic frames selected before you choose Object > Captions > Generate Live/Static Caption? 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@GrahamCow Have you found a solution for this issue? I have the same problem. Can't help but think I am missing something simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image can't be anchored when you want to assign a caption. You have to 'release' it, then add the caption, then re-anchor the group.

This entire process fails at multiple points when you export to EPUB — I note that only because you have your post tagged EPUB. The only consistently successful method of captioning an image for EPUB and Kindle is to make the caption a separate paragraph immediately following the anchored image frame—no text frame, no grouping. Do it all with the paragraph styles.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you set up your live caption variables and insert the variables into the text frames, you can group the elements. (I put mine in an ID Library.) Place your image and the captions will appear--you don't need to enable anything. You can convert to a static caption after import if you wish.

image.png

image.png

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines