• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disappearing elements after updating table of contents

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm working on a file designed by my client (price list 210 pages), the wanted me to do the update. So I did all the modifications, and in the end I wanted to update the table of contents. I made sure I generated a TOC in a separate thread / text box, NOT replacing the existing one. The moment I clicked ok, on a big number of pages elements disappeared. On one page a text box, on another page a table. No logic. But in no way I can go back to my old, complete file. I seem to have lost at least half of my data in the book. Has anyone had a similar problem? It looks like a bug, is it known in the graphic community? If anyone can help, I would be most grateful (I tried everything, changing paragraph styles, change all possible settings, ...). Would re-install Indesign help? I'm a bit afraid to do so, to be honest. Thanks for any advice!

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Performance , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the document already had a Table of Contents, why are you generating a new one? Why not just choose Layout > Update Table of Contents?

I've never seen a Table of Contents remove elements from a document like you describe. Did you configure a new Table of Contents setup or did you generate one from settings that existed in the Table of Contents dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can have more than 1 toc oer doc.

I wrote an article on it before - can't find it now... ah well.

I too, have never seen TOC remove elements. Very strange. 

Can you share the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2024 Apr 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have seen a similar issue many times - always unpredictable. Last time I had to remove all chapters from the book and rebuild the book by importing the chapter or section documents again and resaving the book file. This fixed it.

Have a detailed TOC set up for 7 chapters - based on paragraph styles and a TOC Style.  Has been working great for weeks. Now have edited some text in one chapter - and when updating the TOC - it now loses all information from the other chapters. Only shows information from the TOC/Cover section.

Completely ignores the rest of the book. Have successfully synchronized, updated all numbering, updated all cross-references, and saved the book. Updating TOC worked fine a week ago. Now it doesn't.

Used to be a simple 1-click task - now it's a time-consuming hassle.

Frustrating. Guess I will try rebuilding the book file again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I too, have never seen TOC remove elements. Very strange."

Hi Eugene,

do it like this in [2] followed by [3] below, something someone should never do:

[1] Add a new TOC to a document.

[2] Thread the text frame of that TOC to a different story's text frame.

[3] Update the TOC.

The contents of that story is gone.

Replaced with the contents the TOC function will still find in all the other stories.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines