Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disappearing layers on my InDesign File

Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I would like some help please with my InDesign software. I am currently trying to edit a page on InDesign (version 2021) but InDesign is showing layers that are not meant to be there. I am trying to click on these layers but cannot do anything. I have tried to export the InDesign file to see if it is a glitch, but InDesign does not let me export and says "Fail to export PDF because of background task". I have saved this InDesign file and viewed it on someone else's PC and they're having the same problems with this file. 

Can you help please?

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Hi DavidWq0,

[1] Layers are organized document wide.

[2] The Layers Panel is only showing contents on the active spread.

If a layer is empty document wide you could remove it without a warning.

If you see a warning when trying to remove a layer from the Layers panel, cancel the action and move through all your spreads in the document to look for items. Do that also for all spreads in the Masters of your Pages Panel.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

The issue with export: "Fail to export PDF because of background task" is not directly related to a layer that should not be there. Please show a screenshot of this error message.

This is something that can hardly be fixed here in the forum without having access to your document and all placed graphics or images.

If you are working with a multi-page document you perhaps could export single pages to single PDF files to get an idea if contents of a particular page causes the error.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign is showing layers that are not meant to be there

What do you mean?

I am trying to click on these layers but cannot do anything. 

Did you check if these layers are locked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the master pages

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DavidWq0,

[1] Layers are organized document wide.

[2] The Layers Panel is only showing contents on the active spread.

If a layer is empty document wide you could remove it without a warning.

If you see a warning when trying to remove a layer from the Layers panel, cancel the action and move through all your spreads in the document to look for items. Do that also for all spreads in the Masters of your Pages Panel.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The issue with export: "Fail to export PDF because of background task" is not directly related to a layer that should not be there. Please show a screenshot of this error message.

This is something that can hardly be fixed here in the forum without having access to your document and all placed graphics or images.

If you are working with a multi-page document you perhaps could export single pages to single PDF files to get an idea if contents of a particular page causes the error.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines