• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disaster happening with multiple instances of book docs open on the same machine -insights?

Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a large technical book open, and all (14) documents in the book open. **I have only opened and selected the documents using the book panel—haven't manually opened anything.** After several days of editing, selecting docs from the panel, make edits, save etc. Righ at the end of all of the editing, I do a search / replace through all documents and suddenly realize, it's finding the same spots multiple times and to my horror, I just realized that there are in some cases, several copies of the same documents open. 

First question; How is it possible, that using only the Books Panel, ID would allow me to indadvertantly open multiple instances of the exact same file? I have selected each copy and clicked "save as" to just to confirm they weren't from the previous version of the text (which I saved and moved prior to starting). 

Second question: Any suggestions on what to do now? Am I actually stuck here, and have to start all of my edits again because I have potentially been making edits across multiple open instances? I just can't imagine that this is even possible. I have 8 "batches" of text and image corrections done, with about 60 flow-changing image and text replacements in each and a deadline in two days. Terrified. 

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The only way it would happen is if the files are old versions of Indesign - InDesign opens documents with the Converted text appended to the filename.

When this happens you need to create a new book file and add the new converted files to the Indesign book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines