• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do Master Pages ALWAYS create an associated layer?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Today I am sitting here baffled.

1 - Working in InDesign on a brochure.

2 - I have my master page and associated brochure sides.

3 - And I am using layers as I have a brochure template I am following.

Problem - I went ot throw away a layer - and the elements on my Master Pages disappeared.

I don't remember this happening before - but I may be having a "moment."

Is artwork on a master page ALWAYS associated with its own layer?

This is really confusing me. Apologize for asking - but am baffled.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Hi Tom,

Layers apply to documents, not to specific pages or master pages. Anything you do to a layer, such as deleting or turning it off, will affect the entire document. If you have a layer named "Background," and you place a green element on the Background layer on one master page and a red element on another master page, if you turn off that layer, those elements will be turned off for both master pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You apply the elements, such as folios, on a Master page to the Pages. If you don't want an element to appear on certain pages, you can apply a blank master page or use a keyboard shortcut (ctrl/cmd + shift) to release it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek,

What is currently in my master pages is what I want on both sides of my brochure - so I am good there.

I'm trying to figure out the answer to this:

Is artwork on a master page ALWAYS associated with its own layer? (In the LAYERS tab?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I don't understand. What element(s) do you have on your Master page(s) that you want to appear on your brochure pages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek,

It has nothing to do with a master page containing this element of that element. Master pages are for elements that you want to appear on all pages.

Having said that - I am asking about the layers tab IN RELATION to Master Pages. It looks as if Master Page Elements require a layer to live on in the Layers Tab. I was just looking for confirmation of the fact or the possibility I have done something incorrectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layers are global within documents and NOT page specific. Clear?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom,

Layers apply to documents, not to specific pages or master pages. Anything you do to a layer, such as deleting or turning it off, will affect the entire document. If you have a layer named "Background," and you place a green element on the Background layer on one master page and a red element on another master page, if you turn off that layer, those elements will be turned off for both master pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is what I was wanting confirmation of. Thanks David!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines