• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do QR business cards expire?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm working on a business card in which I want to put a QR code that anyone could scan and get more of my contact information (eg. personal URL, address, etc.).

My question is, say it's been about 1 year and someone scans the QR code. Will it still show the information I had initially set up?

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Unless the camera has a hard time reading the paper (faded, damaged paper for example), yes, it will continue to work. The data is in the code. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless the camera has a hard time reading the paper (faded, damaged paper for example), yes, it will continue to work. The data is in the code. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The URL is in the QR code. But some companies sell Qr codes made with link shorteners. These short links might expire. So be sure you know what actual URL is encoded in the barcode. If InDesign makes them they are as permanent as the address itself. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you could also see what is the difference between a static and dynamic QR code

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually it depends on your QR code business card provider, usually your QR Codes never expire, but they may limit the number of scans on it. Most of them usually have free plans and paid plans, for example the one on qr code chimp https://www.qrcodechimp.com/qr-code-business-card first 1000 scans are free per month (however, if you use their web link not the QR code, then it has no limit) for personal use I think 1000 scans a month are more than enough. In a similar way with other providers too you may get free as well as paid plans.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

QR codes do not expire. There is no such thing as a "dynamic QR code."

Tracked hosting of the URL, whether intentional or stealthily added, expires. But unless the primary purpose of the code is to track who clicks it, no service that ties up number of clicks with the code's creation should ever be patronized. Most manage to obscure, in their marketing verbiage, that it is absolutely unnecessary for QR codes to have any "support" whatsoever. This is something that perhaps needs to be considered for web-destination, marketing-centric codes. But no personal ID code, on a business card or the like, should ever have this secondary routing or tracking or cost a dime past some nominal charge for its creation... if a designer isn't simply savvy enough to create an untracked, un-"supported" code by themselves.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines