• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Document Cloud in Photoshop CC 2020 - Cool! How do I get the files though...

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I save photoshop assets to document cloud in the new Photoshop.

But how do I pull those files to Indesign to place into a layout?

TOPICS
Import and export , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your Creative Cloud subscription installs a folder named Creative Cloud Files, which by default is installed at the top level of your computer’s user folder. Save you Photoshop and InDesign files in that folder and they will automatically sync’d to the Adobe cloud server. Place the local Photshop files in your ID layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the concept of Creative Cloud files, 

but in the new photoshop, when you save, it gives you the option to save to a new location called Creative Cloud Documents (see screenshot).

However, items saved to the Creative Cloud Documents don't appear in the creative cloud files folder and can't seemed to be opened or placed into Indesign. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 2.48.45 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the feature you are looking for is not there yet. Look at the wording in the Cloud document text in your screen grab. It says "In future release, you'll be able to use them to collaborate with others". And just before they say when you sign in to photoshop, probably meaning that Only photoshop will read the .psdc doc at the moment. I'm just speculating though and I might be totally off track:-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just glad I'm not the only person who still doesn't understand this. It makes absolutely no sense to me. 

It's 2021 and I still can't place a PSDC file into my InDesign file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2021 and I still can't place a PSDC file into my InDesign file.

Placed images and assets have to be saved on a local volume or server. That isn’t likely to change because with cloud only assets you would be forced to always have an internet connection, otherwise a document’s cloud links’ status would be Missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, I get that. I understand the internet connection aspect.

But it would be so convenient to save a Photoshop file as a Cloud Document and just pull it into InDesign. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just save the PSD into your Creative Cloud Files folder and you’ll have it both ways—the PSD will be available for placing from your local CCF folder, and there will be a copy automatically uploaded to your Cloud account’s Synced files directory, which you can get at from any web browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of thoughts:

(1) Because of the word "Cloud," you're confusing Adobe's various cloud services. The Document Cloud is run by the part of Adobe which works with documents and it stores PDF files, and offers services like collaboration and controlling document signing documents. It has nothing to do with Photoshop.

(2) The Cloud files which you're referring to are part of the Creative Cloud, a different part of Adobe (which includes InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Adobe XD, video apps as well as mobile apps.The Cloud files which are now stored in the Creative Cloud files and which can be created in Photoshop desktop and iPad versions, has a special file format (.psdc) which is optimized to share files efficiently between desktop and mobile devices. Currently, Photoshop, XD and Fresco (the new mobile app) can store and use Cloud files.

(3) Collaboration means different things. The collaboration with Photoshop/Fresco cloud files will be sharing those files for creation and editing in image applications. It's not likely that they'll be able to be PLACED into InDesign (at least not immediately).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's funny, because I normally make illustrations on the iPad with ProCreate. I can export the file as PSD to DropBox and refresh the PSD in InDesign to do a correction. Simple workflow.

The workflow from Adobe Fresco to Adobe InDesign is a longer one. If you in a real live scenario with a client and a lot of corrections, the extra step can be very anoying...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same workflow Fresco>InDesign and it's so frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to consider the output end of the workflow to see the problems remote links would cause. Imagine a layout with a few gigabytes of linked files. For a PDF export or print output the link status has to be normal, so that means both ends of the internet connection would have to be always on. And the connection—if it’s on, and links are not missing—would have to be extremely fast. Even when the links are local a multi-gigabyte layout can take some time to export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, DropBox and Google Drive syncs with a directory on your HD. So InDesign links to local files...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Right, and you can also use your Adobe Cloud subscription and sync to the local Creative Cloud Files folder and work remotely between invited desktop devices.

But, the mobile device versions of Photoshop and Illustrator only save to the Adobe cloud server (.psdc and .aic), I assume because the mobile OSs don’t have directories that can sync to the cloud and then to an invited desktop device running InDesign. So the mobile .psdc and .aic formats are useful for passing edits between devices, but not for placing in a complex page layout where the link can’t go missing or take time to download. It’s similar to the Camera RAW format, which can’t be directly placed in InDesign without a conversion to some other format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't do this with Cloud Documents but you can if you save it to your Creative Cloud files folder (or any other local folder).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines