• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Document opens as unsaved with placed .png images

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am experiencing a problem where my files are opening as unsaved (asterisk appears next to file name immediatly after opening). I had it happen last year, but it seemed to have gone away on its own. Now I have possibly pinpointed it down to the fact that it seems to happen with placed .png images, and not .jpgs.

I have attatched a screen recording showing an example, where I place a jpg vs a png, and the asterisk appears after reopening the version with the .png.

Ive seen a few posts about this, which were remedied by trashing my preferences. Ive tried that, along with uninstalling and reinstalling InDesign 2020, but I am still seeing this problem happen.

Any help would be great. Thanks

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Hi together,

this is indeed a known bug in InDesign. Culprit: Placed PNG files with transparency.

If I recall this right, resolution of the files must be higher than 72ppi.

Where I do not mean effective resolution.

If you search the InDesign forum you can see a thread about the exact same issue.

More details at InDesign UserVoice:

Viewing page with linked image causes file to be marked as dirty (needs saving)

Eric R, July 08, 2020

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/40858429-viewing-page-with-linked-image-causes-file-to-be-m

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

If you can change the nominal resolution of the PNGs, change them to exact 72ppi. That should work.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jackson5F88,

ID is seeing some sort of change on open. Since there are none and you have reset prefs, perhaps the file itself has gotten corrupt.

Here is a good explainer on exporting to IDML by Peter_Spier.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/troubleshooting-101-export-to-idml-or-inx-to-clear-file-corr...

Hope this resolves it for you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these older InDesign documents that you are now openning in a new version of ID?

InDesign would see this as a change because the layout is unsaved in this newer version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi together,

this is indeed a known bug in InDesign. Culprit: Placed PNG files with transparency.

If I recall this right, resolution of the files must be higher than 72ppi.

Where I do not mean effective resolution.

If you search the InDesign forum you can see a thread about the exact same issue.

More details at InDesign UserVoice:

Viewing page with linked image causes file to be marked as dirty (needs saving)

Eric R, July 08, 2020

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/40858429-viewing-page-w...

Please vote for fixing the bug.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for linking that. I went and voted it. Its the exact issue I am having. I will try today with the higher res png and see if that fixes anything.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you can change the nominal resolution of the PNGs, change them to exact 72ppi. That should work.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines