Document Pages do not reflect Master pages -- going crazy

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First let me say, I've been a designer for a million years. Have been using Adobe products since they started. I've never had this issue and I've tried and searched to figure it out and am stumped. Here's the very crazymaking issue:

 

I set up a booklet file. I have Master Pages set to specifics. All seemed fine. Then I had to make some changes to the Masters. This caused me to have to release some of the elments on the regular pages due to image changes etc. Then it got weird. When I release an MP element on a regular page and hide it, so I can mess with the image on that page, there's another element of the same in it's place. I release and delete and it reappears. I can't get rid of the elements. I even tried replacing the page with a blank Master Page and it doesn't take. Nothing goes away. All the elements remain. What am I doing? What is going on? I've always been able to change the elements on a page regardless of what's on the MP and certainly have been able to delete them and have them be GONE. AND, to make it even crazier, some pages work properly! I can delete the elements and they stay deleted. So what in the dickens could be going on? TIA

TOPICS
Bug, Performance

Views

269

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be document corruption. I'd try making a test file from scratch and see if the problem replicates there. Just a few master-page items and a few document pages. Since it's a book, I'd make 3 or 4 copies of the doc and put them into a new book. If everything works, it's probably some buggy stuff in your working documents. If that's the case, a trip through .idml might help. If you can replicate the problem in fresh documents, there may be a bug in the program, or maybe just bad preferences. I'd try new preferences first, and then contact Adobe if nothing else works. You've probably tried some of this, but it's what I'd try. Good luck.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'm actually in the process of doing that now. 🙂

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that doesn't work, you can try making an IDML version of your file--then open it and do a Save As back to INDD. This is just to test if the problem goes away--don't replace any original files just yet since some features could be lost. 

 

If that doesn't work, could you upload a sanitized (no non-public content) version of your document? 

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Now I've determined it's definitely a particular file issue because only one of the booklets (there are 4) are affected. I will try the IDML suggestion.  ID has been crashing and doing other strange things lately, so this file may have gotten the brunt of it.  Thanks much!

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines