Document Setup for Social media content; Twitter, FB, IG

Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there ID pros,

I have a BIG, BIG question?

I'm wanting to create artwork for a social media campaign. It's very basic design concept; text over a photo.

What size dimensions should I use to set up the document and is there a way to export the one layout for the various social media platforms - or do I have to create a new layout for each social media platform? If the latter, is there a QUICK method to recreate the master layout without having to manually replicate each element for each different layout? If that makes sense?

Help please!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Jeff Witchel, ACI | Adobe Community Professional

You could start by using InDesign's Adjust Layout feature (File > Adjust Layout) to resize a layout to a new size that is a different proportion. The layout may need some minor or major tweaks after this feature is applied. That's where your design skills are needed.

Make sure you save your document with a new name, before trying any of this.

Another possibily is an older InDesign feature, Alternate Layout (Liquid Layout). Here's a video tutorial I produced a while back: Liquid Layout 

Hope this helps!

TOPICS
Feature request, How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Document Setup for Social media content; Twitter, FB, IG

Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there ID pros,

I have a BIG, BIG question?

I'm wanting to create artwork for a social media campaign. It's very basic design concept; text over a photo.

What size dimensions should I use to set up the document and is there a way to export the one layout for the various social media platforms - or do I have to create a new layout for each social media platform? If the latter, is there a QUICK method to recreate the master layout without having to manually replicate each element for each different layout? If that makes sense?

Help please!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Jeff Witchel, ACI | Adobe Community Professional

You could start by using InDesign's Adjust Layout feature (File > Adjust Layout) to resize a layout to a new size that is a different proportion. The layout may need some minor or major tweaks after this feature is applied. That's where your design skills are needed.

Another possibily is an older InDesign feature, Alternate Layout (Liquid Layout). Here's a video tutorial I produced a while back: Liquid Layout 

Hope this helps!

TOPICS
Feature request, How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 27, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What size dimensions should I use to set up the document

InDesign pages are vector objects so to convert the page or selection into pixels for social media posts, you’ll need to Export to an image format— JPEG or PNG—or you can also export to PDF, and open the PDF as pixels in Photoshop.

Pages do not have a resolution but there is a Pixel Ruler Unit. So, if you want to prepare an page for Instagram’s recommended spec, set up the document width and height to 1080 x 1080 in Pixels, and Export to an image format with the Resolution set as 72ppi, which will give you an image with matching pixel dimensions.

Here a social media pixel dimension guide:

https://www.falcon.io/insights-hub/topics/social-media-management/social-media-images-guides/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 2
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gosh thanks so much for the advice and link to guide. Wow. Really helpful. 🙏

There's one part of the process I'm stil unsure of. To create a graphic or photo that fits the Instagram square shape/dimensions and that also fits the Twiiter 16:9 aspect ratio do I have to create separate pages in In Design in order to export for the different dimensions required for the different platforms? 

Is there a faster way to create one graphic design to fit the different aspect ratios?  And avoid having to the lengthy job over manually reformatting the graphic for each platforms specific dimension. Especially when I'm wanting to create 10 - 20 graphics. 

If I want to export the file from the 1080x1080 doc setup as a 16:9 to fit Twitter it will stretch the image - is what I'm guessing.??

Do you see what I'm trying to get at? Lol

Sorry if I'm not making sense. 🤦‍:female_sign:

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope this helps!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my gosh, thanks Jeff!

That's the description I've been trying to explain but brain wouldn't click in. Rescale the layout!!

Yes, I have Adjust Layout but have much to learn up on - in order to master. Thanks so much!!

Appreciate your tutorial too.That's exactly what I'm wanting to do. Hoping I can work it out via Adjust Layout - otherwise I'll follow the Alternate Layout method.

Now i have another channel to follow, too. Muchas Gracias!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're quite welcome!

But you marked your own answer as correct. Please mark the appropriate as "Correct."

Thanks so much!

Jeff

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2020 1
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Multiple times.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2020 0
josiemac LATEST
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Jeff, hope I've fixed it now?

By the way, your tip works really well. 

Converting the design from FB aspect ratio to Twitter has been made easy with the Adjust Layer button.  

Thank you again 🙏

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2020 0