Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Document Structure and tagging not preserved after exporting to PDF

Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I've got an annoying issue that cannot be solved.

I've tagged my document using the structure panel and tag, I did this manually as you can see in the image below:

Captura de pantalla 2018-08-29 a las 16.07.54.png

However, When I export the document to a PDF file with the "tagged PDF" "use the structure for tab order" actived. It does not respect the tag structure as you can see in the following screenshot of Acrobat: Those images belong to the same document:Captura de pantalla 2018-08-29 a las 16.08.49.png

Any clue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Yes, XML Structure & Tagging are not related to the Tagging you see in Acrobat.

I generally look at XML & InDesign mainly for purposes of single source publishing and publishing automation. XML is a way of structuring the data basically.

Have a look at the links Barb shared for some information on creating Accessible PDFs from InDesign. There are a number of other features

Tools you use in InDesign are:

• File Info – for adding metadata
  • Articles panel  –to set-up the structure you end up seeing in the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I'm aware the Tags in Acrobat are not generated from the XML structure, but from InDesign's document structure.

What is it you are trying to achieve?

For example if you want a Tag in Acrobat to appear as H1 and also actually be a heading 1 level, you'll need to set-up a paragraph style in InDesign named 'H1' [1] AND also assign 'H1' [2] as the PDF Export tag.

tags.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your answer, Cari Jansen.

What you suggested can be helpful to preserve the heading and paragraph structure of the text but it doesn't still work for the rest of the tags.

What I am trying to achieve is to get the same structure made on indesign to be recognized in  Acrobat. I want to have a tagged accessible PDF with every image tagged as "figure" for instance, and include "sect" and "part" sections to better order my document if necessary and improve  the tags tree and so on. I've done this using the structure panel and tags within InDesign and I want to keep same structure when opening the pdf on acrobat and work the accessibility there in a further stage. In many tutorials they explain this... So it should be working.

As you said in your comment. Do you mean XML tags created in InDesign only work for html and XML export and not for tagged pdf? Shouldn't it keep it as well in a tagged PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, XML Structure & Tagging are not related to the Tagging you see in Acrobat.

I generally look at XML & InDesign mainly for purposes of single source publishing and publishing automation. XML is a way of structuring the data basically.

Have a look at the links Barb shared for some information on creating Accessible PDFs from InDesign. There are a number of other features

Tools you use in InDesign are:

• File Info – for adding metadata
  • Articles panel  –to set-up the structure you end up seeing in the Tags panel in Acrobat
  • Object Export Options  –to add Alt text, Actual text, Artifact markup
  • Paragraph Styles – Edit All Export Tags (panel menu) - to assign Tags
  • Live Captions – for Figure/Captions
  • and InDesign's own document structure  and features, e.g. layers panel (has influence over Reading Order), footnotes, links, etc. will all convert. Images will automatically tag as a Figure.
  • and I'm sure I've missed some things here..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HI Cari,

Thanks for your clarifications. I believe I misundestood some of the concepts about tagging. As you said, there are several tools to improve the accessibility of the a PDF. However, Structure panel it's not one of them. I will go through all the information both shared with me and try to do my best to solve my issues.

Thanks again to both of you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are a few resources for you on creating accessible PDFs—both cover structure and tagging.

Adobe InDesign accessibility

Preparing InDesign Files for Accessibility | Accessibility @ Adobe | Adobe TV

Creating Accessible PDFs

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing those link BarbBinder, I really appreciate,

I will have a look at it to learn more about this,

Thanks agaiin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines