Highlighted

Does this function exist? Linking a page to another page in Indesign

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know I am describing this correctly but I want to know if this function exists. I have say a 5 page document and I want a 6th page that contains small versions of the five pages that update dynamically as I change the others. This comes up a lot when designing things like project hoarding. I want a one pager showing all the panels and don't want to have to keep exporting and laying them out on a page.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Does this function exist? Linking a page to another page in Indesign

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know I am describing this correctly but I want to know if this function exists. I have say a 5 page document and I want a 6th page that contains small versions of the five pages that update dynamically as I change the others. This comes up a lot when designing things like project hoarding. I want a one pager showing all the panels and don't want to have to keep exporting and laying them out on a page.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Guide ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can place InDesign documents into other InDesign documents, but you can't put a doc into itself. I had a thought that you could place Document A into Document B, and then place Document B back into Document A, but that doesn't work either. I think the best you can do is to use these four steps:

1. Export your document as a PDF
  2. Place the PDF pages back into the doc as thumbnails, then if you update the content of the doc
  3. Export again (replacing the PDF)
  4. Update the links to the PDF in the Links window

Here's the original with PDFs of the pages placed on p6:

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 10.51.52 PM.png

Then I update the contents of the doc:

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 10.52.17 PM.png

And after I export (replacing the PDF), I update the links to the PDF and get this:

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 10.52.51 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Alv14 LATEST
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will suggest work with a book.

- create a new indesign document linked the 5 pages.

- Insert them in the book.

Whenever you make a changes, you just have to update it easily

Screenshot 2020-04-24 at 08.23.42.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines