• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Double spacing bug in 'running header' feature.

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty sure the problem is that the running header feature is seeing the soft return (shift-enter) as a spacing. But the spacing bug only happens on the page, it's taking the information from.

The following pages don't have this problem and the only difference is that these pages take the 'running header' information from another page than their own.

Skærmbillede 2020-11-12 kl. 11.02.53.png

Can see this problem dates back before 2016 and as far I can see, hasn't been solved.

Adobe employees are also confirming it's a bug in the posts.

The last post in this thread by jutaipeter actually fixes the problem. But it's a workaround:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/possible-running-header-text-variable-error/td-p/9217981?pag...

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Another workaround would be to use a "special" character style for the blank after "TRIN5:" so that the text will break to the next line automatically. Set the blank e.g. to Tracking: 9000 and Width to 999% :

BreakToNextLine.PNG

No need to use a line break special character.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another workaround would be to use a "special" character style for the blank after "TRIN5:" so that the text will break to the next line automatically. Set the blank e.g. to Tracking: 9000 and Width to 999% :

BreakToNextLine.PNG

No need to use a line break special character.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is also a solution. But I guess you have to adjust the special break if there should be any type or size changes.

The workaround I mentioned in the first post, worked for the job. But could cause problems in other scenarios:

"The method that works for me all the time: go to the Variables menu, and choose "Use: Last on Page", and you may also also check in "Delete End Punctuation" (however, this is not necessary, I think)." - jutaipeter 

Thank you for looking for a solution tho!

- Theis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried your solution now. I thought the special character would break into a new line but that isn't the case. it works pretty well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Theis,

you have to be very careful if you like to edit text before or after the blank with that special character style. Best reset the applied character style to [None] before doing edits. And there is an issue if you already applied a character style to the blank and you do not want to add another one in your lists of styles. Then a manual override could do.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines