Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

double TOC(index and onomastic) for a book with hidden data

Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

i'm having an issue building the TOC for a large anthology, the book needs to have two TOCs:

1. A title index (with author as subindex): This one is relatively simple, as i use "layout->table of contents" as i've always been using to make the TOC based on the title paragraph style. BUT the issue is the author name as subindex
  2. An Onomastic index: this is where things gets complicated, i have no idea how to make this automatically in indesign.

The main problem is that whilst each text in the book has a title, the author must NOT be written on the text(the idea is that each text is "anonymous" until you get to the index and then you see whose author is it), thus i can't use it as a variable for the TOC!(in previous books i've done this by hand, by adding a new line below each index entry and typing the author, it's really cumbersome).

for example, ¿Can i add the author as hidden text in each title so i can reference this for the TOC?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

i can't edit o delete my reply, i solved that with anchoring

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eliminateur,

you could add a new layer, that is set to non-printing. On that layer you could add a text frame with the autor's name where a specific paragraph style is applied that the TOC could pick up as second level.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after posting i was thinking about using hidden layers, that would solve the "regular" TOC.

The issue is that TOC AFAIK does not do onomastic at all.

I haven't used index function before, i'll have to research on that, i mean, i've seen the function but i have no idea how you turn the index into a TOC(with the same style), and even then i'll need to add the hidden layers a the index work on content

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did just that but now i have a serious issue: if i have to add/remove pages, the textframe on the other layer stays fixed, breaking everything and needing massive manual adjustments

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i can't edit o delete my reply, i solved that with anchoring

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you could do two TOCs in the book. For that you need two distinct TOC styles.

Or you could build an index with InDesign's Index function to do the Onomastic index.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eliminateur,

ok, first read through this:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/user-guide.html/indesign/using/creating-index.ug.html

And then test with a couple of names if it fits your expectation.

The result, the generated index, is formatted text where you can apply paragraph styles that could contain GREP styles if you want to tweak it visually. The main differences when compared to a TOC:

[1] There can be only one single index in a document or a book file vs you can have as many TOCs as you want ( with different contents if you create different TOC styles ).

[2] With an index you could index single or multiple words vs for every TOC entry you have to include a whole paragraph.

Because I have no idea what your Onomastic index should look like it's very hard to suggest something…

Also read through this:

Indexes and concordances
by Peter Kahrel

https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/lists_indexes.html

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

an onomastic index is based on the author or a theme for example.

Example:

normal TOC:

title 1...............23

author

title 2..............25

author2

title 3...............88

author

the onomastic index is:

author............23, 88

author2..........25

it needs to associate the pages of the same author together in that format

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How should the authors be sorted?
Alphabetically?

By first appearance in the document ( book ) which is by start of the first page number?

First name first? Last name last?

An InDesign index is not very flexible when it comes to sorting.

So after generating the index you probably have to do another step with special sorting.

This could do a script.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the onomastic index the authors will be sorted alphabetically by first name - last name

At the worst i'd have to sort it by hand, but at least i'll have the index built

a script would overcomplicate matters(and is waaay outside my area of expertise)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eliminateur,

oh, InDesign has a lot of built-in functionality to assist you. GREP Find/Replace for example could transform a name written like that: Uwe Laubender to: Laubender, Uwe . With every installed InDesign there comes a bunch of scripts. Look into the Scripts Panel > Application > JavaScript > SortParagraphs.jsx for example. Have no fear to test that on selected text.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines