• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drop Cap

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is going to sound really dumb, but has anyone else had issues with creating a drop cap?  I'm tryin to learn how to use the software and trying to write a newsletter and having a hard time creating a drop cap.  I've watched several videos on how to do it and have also followed step by step instructions out of a 2017 InDesign CC classroom book and still having issues.  Can anyone help show what I'm doing wrong?  Thank you in advance.

TOPICS
Feature request , Scripting , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share your screenshots of what you're doing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could but honestly it's doing some crazy stuff.  I tried to set up a Paragraph Style and every time I click on it to edit it, the text font and color would change and remain changed eventhough I made the changes to what I need them to be.  I'm currently in the process of doing the whole project again from scratch.  Could we do a screen share?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't right now. If someone else wants to volunteer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't right now either.  I'm getting ready to go to bed.  Long day tomorrow.  How about maybe later this week or this weekend?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not really the norm - if you can share your file or a sample of the file that's usually what happens and someone can take a look and direct you on how to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand.  Let me try redoing the project again and if I'm still having issues, then I guess I'll try to take some screenshots.  It's just that right now there are so many issues.  I think that I might have missed a few steps somewhere along the way.  Thannks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned we need more information, "so many issues" doesn't help!

Which version of InDesign and OS?
Apart from inserting a drop cap what are the others issues you are having, are there any error messages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OS is macOS Big Sur 11.4 and the InDesign version is 2021 Version 16.2.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Did you apply a specific character style to your paragraph? If you define the paragraph style and want to see it happen in a specific paragraph, a character style is overwriting its properties. Character styles in InDesign are only ment to be for exceptions.
  2. But you can specify a specific character style for the drop cap letter only, but you should not apply it directly. Apply it only from the paragraph style definition in the drop cap and nested style section.
  3. Be aware to specify a dedicated paragraph style for the drop capital paragraph, as other paragraphs should not be affected by its definition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The paragraph is imported from an RTF file format.  I created a new style in Paragraph Style and set up all the parameters I wanted.  When I try to use that Drop Cap style I created, it takes the paragraph and changes the font and color of it.  Not sure why at all.  I even went ahead and deleted the style and created a whole new one but as soon as I choose that style and try to apply it as a drop cap, it once again changes it to something I haven't even used in my newsletter. Not sure where or how it picked up that color and font but I can't find it to isolate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did not reply my question.

What is about Character Styles?

• Do you use them?
  • How do you use them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I am. So I should delete the Character Style and just use the Paragraph Style?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Youtube tutorial will show you step-by-step how to create a Paragraph Style that uses a Character Style for the drop cap: 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UvunmkxXUM0

What are the other issues you're having?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You did not answer my question:

• HOW did you apply the character style?
  • For the whole paragraph text? This should NEVER be done!
  • For the Drop Letter by selecting it in the Text? This should never be done neither!
  • For the Drop Letter definition INSIDE the paragraph style? Ther is the way to go!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines