• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Duplicate Pages After Data Merge

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a 84 page document using InDesign and data merge. After running the merge, the document has 13 copies of the same merge, making the document HUGE (with 1092 pages).

Why would this happen? Is it something in the csv? In the InDesign file? Any help would be much appreciated!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

If 84 pages are a "set" of data, do the second (page 85- 168), third ... set contain data? Or just empty fields?

A delimiter separates data in a csv. This could either be tab, comma or semicolon for example 

If you open the csv in a text editor and scroll to the bottom... do you see lots of delimiters without content in between? E.g. ;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the document before the merge contain 84 pages? Did you try to merge 13 records?

It would help answering these questions:

What do you have as basic layout (amount of pages and placeholders)

What do you expect?

What do you get?

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The template contains 84 pages (each with different content) with hundreds of merge fields (the csv runs columns A - FAU).

The preview shows the 84 pages merged.

When I create the merged document, it has the entire document (84 pages) 13 times.

I need only the original 84 pages created with the merged data.

Does that help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

If you open the csv in Excel, how many lines do you see?

I suppose its an issue with linebreak/cell break in the csv which leads InDesign to think its 13 records instead of 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is only 2 lines total...and a million columns.

Do you think if I delete some of the cells below the data, resave the csv and update the data merge it will eliminate that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If 84 pages are a "set" of data, do the second (page 85- 168), third ... set contain data? Or just empty fields?

A delimiter separates data in a csv. This could either be tab, comma or semicolon for example 

If you open the csv in a text editor and scroll to the bottom... do you see lots of delimiters without content in between? E.g. ;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do! I deleted the extra rows in excel, relinked and remerged and only have 84 pages now!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! You just saved the day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad it worked! Please accept the answer (last post of mine) to close this task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines