Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dynamic Table of Content with page number update

Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'm on a big catalog with 13 section, and than 13 Table of Content + 1 big TOC @ the start of the catalog.

Do someone have a tip to do the pages numbers autoupdate when pages are deleted or added.

I don't want to wait the end of the project to do my TOC.

I try to find the list of TOC Anchors created automaticaly, but can't find it...

So, if someone knows something 🙂

Thanks

Fred

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

For such cases I manually create the TOC: generate once to get the correct titles, then add a hyperlink anchor to each title in each document, and replace the page numbers in the TOC with Cross References.

It indeed would be nice if InDesign did that on its own when generating a TOC. As it is now, the page numbers are written out as plain text.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you have set a TOC style and created your TOCs, have you tried the Layout>Update Table of Contents command.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes of course, but the TOC are on another INDD File, like that

1.0 - General TOC

2.1 - 1th part TOC

2.2 - 1th part

3.1 - 2nd Part TOC

3.2 - 2nd part

13.1 - TOC of the 13th part

13.2 - 13th part of the catalog.

I'm looking for :

1. Cross-reference pages number

or 2. A possibility to act on TOC auto generate Anchors.. but I don't know where to find them and with their 'autogenerated names" it means nothing to me _TOCAnchor... is what page ?

Well, I try DTP Tools that is full of bugs and without a possibility to contact direct support or a forum...

I'm continue looking for a solution.

Best regards,

Fred

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Frederic,

Thanks for reaching out. I hope your issue is resolved by now. If it is, we'd appreciate if you can share the solution here. It'll help other users having similar issues.

If it is not, let us know so that we can help you further. Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosh,

Nothing resolved, no. The resolution should come from Adobe, that have to take a look on his ''Book feature'' and all the features arround it.

Having page number made with cross-references in the TOC should be an option, like the option to put a link on the TOC references.

Must save many many many time doing an ''auto-link'' TOC

Regards

Frederic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For such cases I manually create the TOC: generate once to get the correct titles, then add a hyperlink anchor to each title in each document, and replace the page numbers in the TOC with Cross References.

It indeed would be nice if InDesign did that on its own when generating a TOC. As it is now, the page numbers are written out as plain text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, its the problem : I have 4 catlogs to do with +/- 800 TOC reference to do

It makes 3200 Cross reference to do + 3200 link to do manualy... My client will be happy to see the invoice. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines