Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ebook created in CC 2018

New Here ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi can anyone help please?

We have just upgraded from CS6 to CC 2018 and we have an issue with our ebooks. They worked fine in CS6 but now the Chapter headings are splitting across two lines.

We cannot see anything in the paragraph style that could be causing this.

Any advise please?

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Does this happen with every instance of Chapter headings, even a very short, one-word heading?
  2. What does the code look like?
  3. In what application are you viewing the EPUB when you see the title broken like that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Yes every Chapter heading regardless of length.

2. We have never needed to access the code before, could you please advise where I can find it?

3. We are viewing in Digital Editions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it behave that way in other readers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The terms "eBook" is a generic name for digital books which are available in various formats. It's best to specify the actual format you're using, such as Reflowable Text ePub, FXL ePub, PDF or iBooks Author etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi We are using Reflowable Text ePub.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

denisen35942289​ Definitely test it in other EPUB readers.

Is the ebook something you could let me see? I'd be happy to check it on a couple of platforms/readers, and I can easily examine the code to see if it reveals anything about the error.

If so, send it to "me" at "iampariah" dot com.

Also, in InDesign, do you have Balance Ragged Lines enabled or any special characters like discretionary line breaks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I sent an email yesterday with an example ebook, did you receive it please? I am not sure if I got the address correct.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not receive it. Send it again? [removed my email address]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sending the EPUB. I cracked it open and immediately found the problem. The next step is to figure out where in InDesign the problem was set.

Let's first understand the result and the code cause of the problem.

First, as you can see, I, too, see the title breaking lines. Here's your EPUB in iBooks, but it happens in all ereaders.

Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 09.46.46.png

In the HTML of the chapter, "Chapter 1:" is wrapped in a SPAN tag with the class of "_idGenBNMarker-1", as you can see in the HTML code of the chapter file below.

Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 09.50.53.png

In the CSS, that class of text is defined as being only 113 pixels wide, which is what forces the rest of the line to wrap after "<span class="_idGenBNMarker-1">Chapter 1:</span>".

Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 09.53.41.png

Removing the above highlighted CSS attribute completely fixes your title wrapping issue.

Now, what is causing the problem inside InDesign and your INDD document?

It could be a few things.

1. Your EPUB includes two style sheets. When exporting to EPUB Reflowable, do you have any external CSS stylesheets set to load from the Additional CSS area on the HTML & CSS pane (as in the image below)?

Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 10.02.37.png

2. You have a character style assigned to "Chapter:"

• Do you need it to have a different style?
  • Is "Chapter:" inserted by a custom list or numbering scheme?
  • Is it added by a GREP Style or Nested Style setting within the "Headings" or "Chapter-Heading" paragraph style?
  • Review all the options for that character style and see if any of them could be causing the limiting width.

Try these solutions. Then please let me know the results here, whether you're able to fix it or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I sent this in an email on Monday but not sure if you received it.

I have tried all the suggestions you mention but nothing works. I am attaching a screen print of the export tagging options in the paragraph style that are automatically generated and it mentions the 113px but I do not know where to change this.

Scren print indesign.jpg

We are really grateful for your time in assisting with this. I would just reiterate this is exactly the same paragraph style that worked perfectly in CS6, we only have the problem since upgrading to CC. Has there been a change between the two versions that could have created this problem?

Hope you can help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. It's August of 2020, and I have just come upon this same problem as the OP: _idGenBNMarker-1 -- actually, in my CSS, ID generated -1, -2, and -3 versions for (respectively) the chapter number, the first figure (they begin afresh each chapter), and succeeding figures.

The only solution I have come upon is to use an editor (Calibre or Sigil have been recommended, but I imagine Dreamweaver would work) and remove the width:XXpx specification from the span._idGenBNMarker-X in the CSS generated by Indesign. (Another poster has tried changing the width number and apparently that did not work for him; I just deleted it altogether.) I have also tried removing the character specification from Bullets and Numbering (the earlier poster was right; it wasn't needed), but that didn't make a dent in _idGenBNMarker-1, -2, or -3. Nor do I use GREP in my styles. ID still created -1, -2, and -3.

It is possible that a coding solution is achievable from the tag specification on both paragraph style and character style... but I don't know what that solution is, and haven't experimented. I am using the default CSS that ID generates -- and only that CSS. I suppose I could roll my own CSS so that it cascades over the _idGenBNMarker created by ID... but have not.  At this point, for me, the brute-force solution is to edit the default CSS and remove the width spec. It came from somewhere, it had to -- but I don't see it in my paragraph styles or character styles, and the actual px number seems to vary with each regeneration of the file (142, 136, etc.). Just a guess, but it's probably something in the programming that generates the CSS -- and it's been around for several years, now.

If someone has a tagging solution for this, please post! Thanks.

-j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The above post is a bit old, but I reckon someone is going to have a similar problem with an epub exported from InDesign. So, here's what I did to solve my problem of  wrong line widths.

I was racking my brain trying to decipher the HTML code in the epub and trying to figure out how to correct the problem, when I read the above suggestion ... ‘Is “Chapter:” inserted by a custom list or numbering scheme?’

I suddenly realised the problem was in my InDesign file ... I had used a numbered list in the Paragraph Style of one of my headings! So, I changed the option for Bullets and Numbering to List Type: None ... then re-exported to epub. And all the lines were the right width. 🙂

b.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines