Highlighted

eBook loads slowly

Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone
I exported an epub from InDesign. Pictures, text, everything ok - but only on the tablet. The eBook loads very slowly on a Mac / PC. I've tried everything, but the problem is still there. does anyone know the problem? What am I doing wrong? thanks for your help
Simon

Topics

EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

eBook loads slowly

Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone
I exported an epub from InDesign. Pictures, text, everything ok - but only on the tablet. The eBook loads very slowly on a Mac / PC. I've tried everything, but the problem is still there. does anyone know the problem? What am I doing wrong? thanks for your help
Simon

Topics

EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS?

FXL ePub or Reflowable ePub?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign 15.1.2, macOS Catalina 10.15.6 MacPro (2019) and the EPUB as fix Layout

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which reader are you using? That can be the problem with FXL epubs. For fun export the publication as a Publish Online document to see the difference.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thanks for the suggestion. I will try this out. However, it did not work on the Mac eBook reader and neither did it on my colleague's PC.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Simon,

are you using something like Readium to view your epub on the web browswer?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/readium/fepbnnnkkadjhjahcafoaglimekefifl?hl=en-US

have you validated your file?

this is the gold standard for doing so (if you are afraid of code, this is not for you):

https://github.com/w3c/epubcheck

if all of this information is new to you. i recommend you wantch this video course:

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/indesign-creating-fixed-layout-epubs/validating-the-epub?u=7682117...

these is also this:

https://www.pagina.gmbh/produkte/epub-checker/

this is an app you install, and you run your file via this to see what needs to be fixed.

Lets just be clear that publish online and epub are two totally different things. You publishing online the same does not help you fix your epub not working on readers. They are two totally different animals.

Last, what version of epub are you publishing to?

are there any features that you used that are not supported by that version?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonathan

Thank you for all the information. I'll check it out and see what I can do.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
I may be a fool. It tells me that the font is DRM protected. How can I remove protection?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there it is!!!

Digital Rights Management or DRM is a scheme that controls access to copyrighted material using technological means. It may refer to the usage of proprietary software, hardware, or any type of content: music tracks, video files, ebooks, games, DVD movies, emails, documents, etc. DRM is all about copyright protection

You dont' have the copyright to use that font. what are you using, where did you get it? why are you using it? 

next, did you validate? thats is really what is going to tell you what is wrong with the file. we can sit here and guess things but the validation lists everything

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello
Thanks for the help and patience. I validated the document and it only showed the DRM protection of the font, nothing else. The template for the InDesign document is a free Adobe Stock template (Minimalist Magazine Layout) and the fonts "Source Service Pro" and "Source sans variable" is embedded in it. The link to the Dokument is: https://indd.adobe.com/view/4af97850-f812-44d2-98cb-82ea9cade9c8
you the link to the document is 1. you can see wes is extremely simple. (and German)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alright, so now we got to the source.

So those fonts came with the adobe stock template you purchased?

If yes, than i think you need to create a post in the ADOBE STOCK forum to make them aware about what is going on with that template they are selling. 

The reason it all displays fine on publish online is because everything is been turned into images in publish online, That text is images. And it must read teh DRM and ignore it for some reason.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK yes. Then I'll have to do some research at Stock-Forum. I thank you Jonathan for your help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great, thank you. please comeback to this thread and mark a correct answer and or let us know if you need more help.

jonathan

[moderator]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally slow loading and choppy performance is caused by heavy images. Many users make the mistake to choose 300ppi when preparing images and exporting an epub when they picked the iPad or other tablet templates in InDesign.

This is en entirely wrong workflow, since InDesign expects an effective 72ppi. In simple terms, ensure you are working at the native resolution of the main deployment targets' screen resolution, or close to it.

So for a typical iPad a 2560x1536 target resolution is what should be kept in mind. A full screen image should adhere to that resolution. Then when exporting the epub, select 72 ppi. NOT 300 or 150, or whichever, because you run the risk of exporting graphic elements which are then converted to bitmap elements at more than 4 times bigger than the required base resolution. Which will not only blow up (more than quadruple) the size of your epub in worst case scenarios, but also  tax the devices resource FAR more, trying to shift quadruple the pixels (because all graphics are stored in the video ram as uncompressed images!).

First thing to check is the resolution of your assets in the exported epub.

And be aware that InDesign is notoriously bad at optimizing bitmap assets. Best practice is to do a last manual optimization run after the final epub version is exported from InDesign. It can mean a 50% reduction in book size, which means more content can be delivered as well.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you. The pictures are all already at 72 dpi. Greetings Simon

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Effective ppi? Check the images in the links panel for this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All images are 72ppi. The document setting is "web" and I don't see any other errors either.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines